Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Electric "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Hi All!

I was reading the post about junk boxes and lamenting the fact that I didn't have one when I remembered a box of wrist watch movements that I picked up at a local auction. After rummaging through it I found this.

Jack

Posts: 208 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: November 30, 2002
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Here is a pic of the movement.

Picture of Jack Davis
posted
I have been toying with the idea of having it repaired but I am not sure how much I want to invest in a watch with no case or strap.

Does anybody out there have a ball park idea of how much these Hamilton Electrics cost to repair?

On a side note, I am very happy that I seem to be getting a better handle on how to use the macro mode on my camera. This is by far the clearest pic of a movement this size that I have ever managed!

Jack

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Big Grin Jack, I am delighted that you too decided to dig through your box/boxes of "stuff" to search out the potential diamond in the rough.

While this may not be a diamond, it is certainly not junk.

The dial is that of the Hamilton "Van Horn". The Van Horn and the Ventura were the first two Hamilton Electric watches introduced in 1957. While the Ventura has a very radical style, the Van Horn is a more conventional round solid gold watch. This dial appears to be original, which is certainly important. Note the correct lettering. The finish of the dial looks original. The "Pat. Pending" lettering looks original. This seems to be an original dial.

The Number 12 at 12:00, and the arrows at 3, 6, and 9 are consistent with the Van Horn. Typically the name "Hamilton" is found printed just below the 12 in a semi-circle pattern. Your example seems to have a diamond design that I've not seen before. It could be that this dial was made for a company as an award. Hamilton had a very important "Incentive & Award" division, which was very important to the bottom line for many, many years.

The movement is what one would expect: The Hamilton 500 movement. This is the first generation of the Hamilton Electric Watch. According to the Research of Rene Rondeau, The 500 movement was first released in January of 1957. The model 500 movements were serial numbered from 001L to about 1100L in the early series of prototypes. Production movements continued in sequence until the practice of serial numbering was inexplicably dropped after about 88,000.

Your movement has a serial number, but I can't see it clearly in the photo. It would be found right below the "elbow" in the battery clamp. The wire clamp goes through a stationary lug which looks like the head of an regular screw. Just below, there is a number imprinted. That is the serial number.

So...Nice find.

Rene Rondeau would restore this movement, but the cost would be (I am guessing) about $200.

The movement, as is, has value. The dial, as is, has value. In a correct 14K Van Horn case, increases the value. If the movement is early...it has increased value. It the movement is functioning, in a correct case, it has maximum value.

If you have never "met" Rene, you should. Email him, and send him the photo's.

www.hamiltonwristwatch.com

That is his site. There is an email link at that site.

If he is in town, he responds quickly. He will tell you what you have, and will answer any other questions that you have. Rene answers questions, and his passion and his willingness to share what he knows, drives my interest.

Good Luck! Good Find!

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Bill,

Thanks so much for the information! I had overlooked the serial number. It is 1145L.

I think I will email Rene if only to get his take on this watch. Thanks again!

Jack

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Jack, That is a very, very early movement. I would bet that this movement is very unusual. As you may know, Hamilton rushed the introduction of this watch, as they were afraid that another watch firm was going to steal the show and be the first to introduct the first electric watch.

Many movements of this generation have very early "prototype" components. This movement does not belong in the junk box!

All the Best

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Shameless Self Promotion:

Come admire/debate/challenge/ and discuss this early prototype in that fish-bowl: Avoiding the Pitfalls Thread:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4906375242&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Jack,
Bill is right on. That movement does not belong in the junk box. The real shame hear is that someone probably scrapped out the case.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
This gets more intriguing all the time! This was part of a box lot of 200+ wrist watch movements. I have been selling off some of the more ordinary ones in lots, but this one caught my eye.

Whoever owned these went to a lot of trouble to categorize them. Each movement is in a small white envelope with the manufacturers name and grade designation written on the outside. None of them are cased.

Jack

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Jack, Keep Digging! Perhaps you will find a very desirable Hamilton 19 Jewel 401 movement. Maybe you will find a Glendale dial.

Jack, keep digging!

Say it with me folks:

Jack, Keep Digging!

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I'm digging! I'm digging!

Unfortunately there are only three Hamiltons aside from the electric. They are all ladies watches grades 756, 750, and 989.

But, I have Elgins, Walthams, Hampdens, Bulovas, Gruens, Longines, Wittnauers and others so who knows what might float to the surface. Big Grin

Jack

posted
Neat Hamilton electric watchJack, made the year i was born, very cool.I wish i had junk like some people do in their junk boxes.

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
For the heck of it I will post pictures of the only Hamilton Electric I own.
It is a Sea-lectric II and has a 505 movement with a stainless steel case.
To the best of my knowledge it is original.
I am not a big fan of these watches and plan to sell this one some time this year.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Picture 2

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Picture 3

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Picture 4

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Picture5

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very cool!

Let me know if you really are serious about selling that one Rich.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002