Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ca. 1923 and 1921 Walthams "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I just finished restoring this Waltham this weekend. It needed a cleaning and I had to replace the barrel assembly and mainspring. The case is 14K green gold and it has a 15-jewel Sapphire-grade 6/0 (Jewel Series) movement. It appears to be from shortly after the watch companies moved away from wire lugs. Instead of spring bars it has two threaded rods that screw into the lugs.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This ad is from a January 1923 Waltham catalog. You can see that I still need to get a stitched leather strap for it.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This larger watch (almost 1-1/4" across) is from around 1921 and has a 17-jewel Ruby grade 6/0 movement in a 14K yellow gold case. Originally a wire lug case, someone cut the lugs so that female spring bars could be used instead. This was also restored this past weekend, with a cleaning and balance staff.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Very nice Jerry,

I especially like the 1923 model. Looking at the $60.00 price, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that was premium railroad watch money in those days!

Thanks for sharing them with us,

Dr. Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...great watches...particularly like the band on that Waltham 6/0...have several watches w/wire lugs that I'd like to convert to spring bars...just how does one go about converting a male to a female spring bar (no scurrilous remarks here plse... Wink)?...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Jim - I consider the conversion of the watch to be an unfortunate mutilation and would not recommend it for a collectible watch. The spring bars are not readily convertible -- you must buy the female type (if they are still available).

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jim,

I agree with Jerry, it's important to preserve these intact. There are bands to attach or that thread through those lugs. Perhaps someone will provide links to where they are available. Keep them original whenever you can.

Great watches Jerry, thanks for sharing,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
As luck would have it, at my local chapter meeting this past Sunday I found an original Waltham leather strap for my 1923 wristwatch. [it is not as red as it looks in the pictures] Do I dare to occasionally wear the watch with this strap, or should I preserve the strap and find a cheap strap to wear? [that would kind of kill the fun of it]. Here is a picture of the now complete watch. (matches the ad pretty well Smile ).