Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gruen Wrist Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Would anyone have any information on a Gruen wrist watch, 21jewel s/n 31649, Veri-Thin Precision model? Such as year of manufacturer, where sold, etc? Also what type of band would have been supplied by the manufacturer? Thanks

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Wayne,
do you have a picture ??

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Watch is presently being restored by Rich Kuhn. This is the before restoration picture.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Wayne,
from the look of your watch, I'd say it dates to around 1944-50. ( Note:- Accurately dating a wristwatch is much more difficult than pocketwatches ). Your watch may also originally have had a faceted crystal. Is it YGF or Solid 14K ?, this makes a fairly significant difference in the value. I'd also say this watch most likely came with a Gruen leather strap ( good luck finding one !!).

I hope this helps.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Lots of interesting information about Gruens at this url:

http://www.pixelp.com/gruen/index.html

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
wayne if you need a crystal for your gruen i may have one ..there was a 8 drawer crystal cabinet in the estate stuff i just bought with glass crystals for the early wristwatches..sure wish they had been pocket watch crystals.. Big Grin

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
The Gruen has been restored by Rich Kuhn - great job - Thanks Rich. I had a hard time getting a good photo of the watch, its so bright and clean.

posted
What is the movement caliber?
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Its marked 335 Veri-Thin.

posted
Here are a couple of Gruen 21's I own. The dials are not marked "Swiss" but they could have been changed or refinished, since they don't look very aged.

posted
Side view of the two Gruens, the crystal on the leftmost one is faceted to match the curve of the bezel. The righmost is nicely curved and fits my wrist very well.

posted
Here's the movement of one of the Gruens, calibre 335, and neither is marked "Swiss" so it's possible they could have been made in Cincinnati.

posted
John,
Thanks for posting the pictures of your Gruen's.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Wayne,

Thanks for sharing the remarkable Rich Kuhn restoration on your Gruen wristwatch.

Gruens are always interesting and Rich always does a great job.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002