Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What's so special about Stephen? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hi all, Recently I saw an Illinois Stephen WW go on eBay for $414.00. That seems a bit high considering other Illinois wristwatches I have observed at lower final price. It did have a NOS dial.

Since I happen to have two of them, I'm wondering if there is some reason they are more valuable at this time.

Mine aren't as nice as the one I saw, but I was just wondering if it is worth the investment to spruce them up a bit. One is a keeper and the other will be sold later. (After I fix the work)

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Is the Stephen known under another name as well? I can't seem to find it in Frederic Friedberg's book...

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
This is a link to the auction in question: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320100408668
(Admin: if it is improper to post links to finished auctions, please delete it out.)

Maybe someone can identify it from those photos.

The main point of my question is do you get a return on your investment when you fix them up for selling.

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007
posted
Not sure about the model name, but I can say for sure that the seller always gets top dollar for his offerings because of his excellent photos. He sells alot of Hamiltons and usually gets at least $100 over the average Ebay selling price.

Posts: 113 | Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
I'd be cautious about this particular seller. He once offered a Mount Vernon with altered, soldered lugs, and never responded to my question about them (the non-originality was confirmed by Bryan G.). He went on and on about the watch being "all original" in his description, and apparently some folks were taken in by his purple prose...

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006