Tools
Reply to Post

Real Cariter Tank? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hi everyone.
I recently had this Cartier tank brought to me. When I took the watch apart, I found that the movement is soldered to the case back.

Could someone tell me if this is something that Cartier did? The owner asked if I could sell the watch for him, but I am concerned about the soldering.

Please look at the pics and let me know if this is something you have seen before.

Thanks,
Scott

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I believe the dial and the crown to be replacements.

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Interesting way the case is screwed to the bezel.

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Scott,
I have yet to see a maker solder a movement in place are you sure the movement is by Cartier? I can't tell from the picture of the dial side. This may be a put together piece. The case does look real from what I can see.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Thanks for the reply Rich. I was asked to list this watch on Ebay. In the description, I will state that I was unable to verify the maker of the movement.

IHC Life Member
posted
I suggest the movement is a replacement, and was found to be just a little too small for the aperture - so was fixed in position to prevent it moving around in the case back in use.

Cartier or their makers would never build an un-servicable watch in this way !

Dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
Scott,
I'm highly suspicious of the dial on your watch, and likewise I share the same concern that Rich Khun mentioned. From your picture your dial doesn't appear to have the classical Cartier feature of having the Cartier name as one of the legs a Roman Numeral i.e. normally contained within the Roman Numeral VII.It's possibly there but I can't see it from your picture. Also I haven't seen the name France on a Cartier dial, their watches to the best of my knowledge all say Swiss. Roll Eyes

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004