Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Old Military? WW. Comments Please "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
This maybe should have gone to the Military Forum but just to get it going. A Swiss WW that has some Radium? Burn in the old crystal. It is in a Swiss Sterling Silver case. It does run but I have no idea if it is unusual, rare, or junk.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Back of case

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Movement and markings

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
I would not call this one junk in silver case
looks good Mike.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Mike

A nice early wristwatch from the late 20's. Made by Avia Watch Co (Chaux de Fonds, since 1910) intented to the anglo-american customer. The swiss silver export mark (standing bear) was used pre 33.
As Peter said monometallic cases of all kind are fine to refinish. Cleaning, relume and a new strap would make a fine watch.

Please tell the diameter of the movement.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
Gerald, thanks for the info. It is 29 mm in diameter and it does run but of course it needs oiling at the minimum.

posted
I think the initials are for the Central Labor Council, Helena Montana...an affiliate of the AFL/CIO

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Ray, that does make sense.

posted
Be careful of the radium paint. The zinc sulfide is fully burned, but the radium in it is still almost as powerful as the day it was made. The half-life of radium is 1,600 years.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Jim. That's even older than Phil Sanchez! Warning heeded.

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Mike, For your information Radium and I are closely related. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Member 1016
posted
Sorry Phil, I had NO IDEA you read this WW Forum Cool

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Mike it's a hard job but some one has to do it. Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
Since I try to write english it's even harder Wink

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009