WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Citizen Quartz, Cal 7991E, Can anyone help please? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All,

I know quartz watches aren't generally regarded as 'real' watches, and don't figure much on the boards, but I could use some help with this watch as it does have a certain intrinsic value to me!

I originally bought my 'Citizen' in 1980, and at £150 GBP, It was also a relatively expensive purchase for me at the time.

Taking the watch for repair to the jewellers where I purchased it (and who regularly serviced it), was advised it was irrepairable.
I was never advised what the problem was, although I suppose the movement was by then actually obsolete and nothing available for it!
The watch actually came back to me in bits, and it's sat in a box like that now for well over a decade and half, I don't even know if the movement is actually complete!.

I've kept picking it up and putting it away again over the years, and even though I just can't get into quartz technology at all, I've finally decided to try getting it up and running if possible.

I've been in touch with Citizen Japan and UK, and they can't help with service, advice, parts or a movement, no help at all frankly .... it's just too old!

Details of the movement are:
Calibre 7991E - Unadjusted - Gilt movement with date work.

Watch I.D from caseback. : 4-798163 Y, 1071948, 43-9029, GN-7W-S,

Dial numbers: 7991-799477-Y

Citizen UK replied to my enquiries with the following:

"I have checked the numbers given but I have no spare parts for that watch, the movement being discontinued in 1990. From memory this was a very slim high grade watch possibly a Noblia or Permabright".

Does anyone have such a movement or know of a suitable replacement calibre please? (either NOS or parts donors?).
Does anyone know of any Citizen movement illustrations and circuit diagrams etc, so I can work out what I'll be playing with?
I'm quite reluctant to attempt a repair or reassembly of this actual movement anyway, as quite apart from not having a clue about quartz technology, I can barely see some of the bits in this thing even with my microscope!

I just know the longer I put off doing anything, the less likely it is to get done.

Any help or advice much appreciated!

Regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Martin R. Walport
posted
John
ah! Good old Citizen Noblia! they cost a relative fortune and were quickly discontinued. Along similiar lines to the Seiko Lassale, it was Citizens attempt at entry into semi "luxury" brand watches. didn't work. every now & again, we will get one in for service or bracelet / catch repair. Usually with no success.
keep on trying but do not lose sleep over it.
Good luck & have a nice christmas

Posts: 5 | Location: Glasgow, Scotland UK | Registered: October 25, 2006
posted
Thanks Martin,

Please keep me in mind if any suitable donors cross your shop threshold Wink

Very Best Wishes for Christmas and 2007.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Maybe I'm not well informed and a bit naive, but aren't there quartz replacement movements commonly available that could be used in this situation? Perhaps not the exact original item, but I wonder if a "transplant" might be the answer here.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
If you can find someone who is creative you may be able to find a generic replacment movement. I think the hand date layout on the dial is a little different distance than most.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
posted
Happy New Year Guys,

Problem with the watch, is that it has a 7j rectangular movement less than 2mm thick, has a rectangular dial with date work, and dial feet which are located in the movement.
The watch is also less than 7mm thick from the crystal face to case back.

I do want to keep a decent movement in the watch if possible, preferably the correct type! It cost me around £150 GBP in 1980, which equates to around £500GBP at 2005 minimum GDP figures, so you can imagine the hole it put in my pocket back then!

I've tracked down examples on the web of the Permabrite movements in watches which appear the same as mine, and I've now subscribed to the associated Citizen forums to see if I can dredge up a movement or even a watch from somewhere.
Time will tell.

With hindsight, I'd have been better off buying a branded Swiss make than this one, but it was so comfortable to wear and looked so darned good, absolutely nothing came close to it at the time, and I looked at a lot of watches!.

Something will turn up eventually though.

John.