Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Now I have done it .. "Click" to Login or Register 
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
Well, I messed up now , I was going to focus on Hamilton wristwatches.

I have a client is is a watchmaker, and he has done some work for me recently. He knows I am interested in Hamilton's but I saw this Gruen Curvex Rose gold on his bench, he called me and told me it was ready earlier this week - i just had to buy the watch. I love the rose gold

Is there a model name other than curvex? it seems to be from '37 to '40

Some photos are forthcoming, i did some very quick shots through a loupe - there is some great stuff on this site

Gruen Curvex.jpg

Posts: 61 | Location: Sarasota, Florida U.S.A. | Registered: May 30, 2004
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
mvmnt - 330

gruenmvmnt.jpg

Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
and the dial

Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
here it is

Gruen Curvex dial

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Had to put on my shades for that one!

Every Curvex is a great watch, especially those with the curved "Curvex Grade" movement. When it hits you for the first time that is actually a curved movement you're impressed. Add a rose case and you're hooked!

Glad you're enjoying Chapter 185... Welcome Aboard!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Well it looks like ole Garys' fountain pen collecting days are ancient history.Once you buy a watch of that calibre fountain pen collecting just doesn't seem to do it anymore.Welcome to the wonderful world of watch and clock collecting but proceed with caution it can be habit forming.I just wanted to warn you Gary.
On a serious note though,thats a beautiful watch Gary,when you buy a watch that appeals to you on a personal level and not just from a collecting standpoint it makes this pursuit all the more enjoyable.Kinda like doubling your pleasure.
Sincerely,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Gary,
glad to see we're adding to the growing band of IHC "wristwatch addicts". Big Grin Those 330 movements are just great.

Welcome aboard the IHC. Smile

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Gary, I think you made a very wise decision. The Gruen Curvex is a very special watch. I love the look in rose gold.

Leave those silly Hamilton watches for the other guys Big Grin

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
Thanks

Robert - I still am collecting pens , though alot more slowly than in the past , plus i can repair pens. I have not attempted that with watches, though i am contemplating that venture

Don't worry Bill, i am still looking for Hamilton's , though I doubt we will be "competing" for the same watches

anyways, i do have 2 coming in early this week - the Whitney and Putnam. I can hardly wait

posted
Well Gary I will tell you this.If you repair a watch and give it to someone there is a better than 99% chance that the individual you gave it to will know how to use it with very little instuction.i.e.tell the time of day with it.That makes it very practical as a gift.
Now,that being said,if you give an individual a fountain pen as a gift the only thing he is probably going to master is squirting ink all over themselves or filling up their shirt pocket with leaky ink,the nemesis of all fountain pen owners.I'm not even factoring in the part about the eighteen people who are still alive who know how to write with one with one without making a mess.
Just something for you to think about.
Your Friend,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Gray very pretty watch rose gold is nice sounds like you are already hooked i know i am..

Get you one like this to go with the one you already have the gruens are nice.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Here's a picture of one of my Gruen Curvexes. This one is WGF and has a 330 movement.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Here's another beautiful looking Curvex. This one's solid 14K.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Since I'm on a Curvex roll here's another very nice one. Big Grin

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321