Reply to Post

German "Emes" "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Evening "All!"

Glorious little "Emes"

Emes 1

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Another view.

Nice little "looker!"

Emes 2

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Stainless Steel Back.

Anybody got any ideas on company history?

I've tried Google, Roland Ranfft for movement etc?

Emes 3

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
All Original.

Strap and this lovely one-piece buckle.

(The strap was quite "green!" But cleaned up well!)

Emes 4

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Better picture!

Emes 5

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Movement.

Any idea of year of manufacture?

Thanks all.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Emes 6

posted
Roy,
the fact it says Made in Germany would probably date it sometime before WWII. So if i had to guess I'd say the late 30's.

From the overall style, I certainly don't think it was after the German re-uninication.

I wouldn't guess it's worth too much since the movement doesn't seem to be anything special.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Dave.

Many thanks for input!

30's is fantastic. Not looking bad for an old girl of 70 plus years!

I agree with you with regards to the movement.

Still a nice (all original)little timepiece thats over 70 years old!

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

posted
I think that the 30'S is much too early for this watch.I think the late 50's to mid 60's.It has a 'Monobloc' shock system that wasn't around in the 30's.
The 1951 Marshall Material catalog has 3 shock systems listed.The 1958 book has @ 60 systems listed,but no 'Monobloc'.There is 'Monorex'which might be a name that the company used for lever movements,and used 'Monobloc' for pin levers.
Also the case looks like the 60'S.
Just my opinion.
Thanks,
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Julian,
after taking a closer second look, I think the 50's is probably a more correct timeframe. (certainly for the case). The thing that still puzzles me is the marking on the movement. As you may be aware, all items made from 1945 until the reunification of Germany about ten years ago were supposed to carry the marking "Made in West Germany". I'm not sure if East Germany exported any items like watch movements.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Dave,

I concur on the dating of the watch to the 1950s, but wanted to add a note to your earlier comments. While it's true that the "Made in..." designation was supposed to say "West Germany" after 1948, that was OUR rule for items imported to the US. I'm not aware of any such requirement for things produced for domestic use, or for export to other countries. Many, many items were produced using pre-war stamps and dies, and the "West Germany" title (for these purposes anyway) doesn't become pervasive until the re-emergence of W. Germany as an economic power in the late 1950s. In some fields, it's a good way to authoritatively date items, but in others, typically those using machined equipment, the change was slow in coming.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Cary, Dave & Julian.

I thank ypu for your input.

50's AOK!

Will copy thread and catalogue!

Thanks again.

timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"