Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bulova Doctors Watch 10AX Help "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi,
I'm a new member and I want to say I really like this forum. So I'm hoping that someone can give me a little help with this Bulova doctors watch. They are both stamped as being a 10AX movement yet as you can see they are different. The one on the right is the doctors movement that I'm trying to restore acctually replace, it is really bad shape. How do I refer to that movement? Or does it have a different model number other than the 10AX?

Thank you!

Posts: 20 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: July 02, 2009
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Mark,

I know absolutely nothing about your watches but I would like to be the first to welcome you to our group, I'm sure someone will soon be along to answer your questions.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mark

I also welcome you.

I am sure someone that knows more will come along, but just from looking at your photos I think they are both Bulova 10AX movements, the difference being the Doctor's movement had a sweep center second hand added, similar how Hamilton made the 4992 pocket watch for the Military from the 992B, they added the center seconds shaft & the drive gear that you see mounted on top of yours.

Until someone with better info that is my best guess. I do have a few of those 10AX but none with the sweep seconds added.

Hope you can get it running.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thanks for the input. I love watches but I'm not an expert. Although I have a lot of watches and have been restoring many for the past five years. I wish I had found this site earlier. I'm not so much into the value of the watches but I love the designs. I love the 30's and 40's vintage look.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mark

You should like it here, many of us are like you. I have only been doing this for a hobby about the same amount of time as you so I am still new too.

You will find the entire group here to be more than helpful & willing to help an hand.

We all enjoy seeing each others watches so feel free to post photos whenever you want even if you don't have a question.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thank you Tom, I felt like I was the only one enjoying this hobby. My friends love my watches but are into other vintage elements and not really into watches so it is nice to know I'm not alone. I hope more info will come about this movement.

posted
Mark

Welcome to the IHC 185 !

As Tom already said both movements are 10AX, the right one with additional sweep seconds.
If possible post some larger pictures (600 x 480 pixels) from each movement. This will give us more information about the year of production.

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Its great to see these movements pop up every once and a while. Both Gerald and Tom are correct.

The 10AX movement is also compatible with the 10AN and 10AE movements, so parts are interchangeable.

The movements should be pre-49 and as such should have a date stamp on them. See my site www.mybulova.com for a list of date stamps and corresponding years.

These two are likely from the mid to late 30s and early 40s.

Would certainly appreciate them being added to the myBulova website if you get the chance.

Stephen
myBulova.com

Posts: 97 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: April 28, 2007
posted
Just found a new one that is in good running order. I will post images soon. Still don't know why the two movements have the same number.

-Mark

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I'm not sure why they have the same # also. But I did go to Jules Borel watch supply house. and they are showing a sweep seconds pinion. Plus a 4th wheel with seconds. And one just marked 4th wheel.
Guessing the company did not want to remark the 10ax when some one decided to add a sweep seconds pinion. What part did you need to restore the original 10 ax. I only have about 30 movements of this #. But when I bought them most are not complete. But always good for a gear or two.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010