Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1941 Gruen Veri-Thin "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Hey, all.

So, I recently inherited my dad's wedding gift watch. It's a Gruen Veri-Thin Precision from 1941. It's engraved with his name, address and date on the back of the 14k gold case. He had it on a Speidel Twist-o-Flex band, which is clearly not contemporary with the watch, given the fact that the Twist-o-Flex didn't come out until the late '50s.

The watch itself is in amazing condition. There's a couple small scratches on the crystal and a couple of age spots on the dial but beyond that it's practically brand new. This is undoubtedly because WWII broke out right after my parents got married and he dropped the watch in a drawer and headed off to join the Navy. After the war he only wore the watch on a few special occasions, preferring to wear Seiko automatics for the rest of his life.

So, I'm curious if anyone has comments on the Gruen Veri-Thin watches in general and any advice on what kind of band to put it on. It's at my watchmaker right now for a COA and a new mainspring. The watch was actually in great mechanical condition showing great amplitude on the balance wheel and very little positional variation. Once I get it back I'll take some pictures of it and post them here.

Thanks in advance for any information you may have to contribute!

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
posted
Really do need the photos of the watch

Posts: 4 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida in the USA | Registered: March 23, 2011
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
When it's back from getting a COA I'll post some.

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Finally got it back and took some snaps:

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Found this ad for it. The watch is a "Nomad" model.

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Hi Chris.
Nice Gruen I like verythin ones and the true curvex
You can get NOS band from this site.
http://www.girards.com/sell/frame31.shtml
just scroll till you see Gruen band.
Hope you like what they have if not look at ebay.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Good link. I've bookmarked it.

I actually got a NOS Hamilton band in light brown matte leather. Looks WAY better than either the gold tone flex band that my dad had on it or the temporary lizard skin black one that I put on it initially. The "blond" leather band really enhances the look of the gold case by not distracting the eye like the metal and lizard bands did.

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Glad I could help and I agree on the band color.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
I sell Gruen mainsprings.
My question is more general than the ones posed here.
If the design for the mainspring is for a 10 in long mainspring, ad i have three varieties, of the same mainspring, but one 1/2” shorter, ({at 9 1/2”), and one a 1/2” longer at 10 1/2” , when would it be appropriate to use one over the other.
All other criteria of the mainspring are the same, material, width, thickness etc.
Just length is different.mel siedman

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006