Tools
Reply to Post

pocket watch conversion to wrist "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
here is one side

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Very attractive, well done. Just curious, how does it look on your wrist, I know large wristwatches are popular now, however I'm not a fan.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1357
posted
Very nice!!!!

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Good looking watch! Where did you get the case?

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
what size movement and where did you got the case for it.
Nice looking wrist watch.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Works fine on my wrist but if you're not a fan of big watches you wouldn't care how it looks on my wrist.

Bought case from a guy on Timezone who is selling completed watches. By the way, the big difference in his materials is using an actual Hamilton dial and hands. Tourby and RGM do their own thing with dial and hands and frankly the originals look much better imho.

The only downside is the watch isn't shock protected but I am not hard on my watches so it really doesn't matter much. Beyond that, the movement so far exceeds anything available today that it isn't even close.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
If there's a big enough market for these conversions, it might be a solution to the problem of what to do with all the small pocket watch movements that been stripped of their cases by gold scrappers.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed, there is a huge market for big watches and your suggestion is an excellent suggestion yielding a far better watch movement (including the Hammie 917, the 921 and 923 are as fine a watch as ever made imho) than the run of the mill ETA movements going into 99% of big watches. However, have you looked at the prices wanted for them by RGM or Tourby? Outrageous. You'd think they had actually made the movements rather than spend a couple of hundred bucks on the bits and pieces that together with the movement comprise a watch. There is an opportunity for someone with reasonable margin expectations.

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Michael, you make a valid point that hadn't occurred to me, regarding the use of quality movements, such as Hamilton to make the conversion.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Ok I got few of those movement now where do I find wrist watch case for them ? to fit.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Do you have a link. To find how to buy a case. Cost of the case also please and thank you.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Now, if I could only find an automatic 12s movement Wink

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
here is my conversion size 16 Ball/Ham 999
on my wrist Eek

IHC Life Member
posted
LOL (assuming your joking, otherwise nice watch Roll Eyes )

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I've got a Westclox Baby Ben I thought about converting, but then I'd have to cut the sleeve off my shirt.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
How about this? Here's an eBay auction for a Swiss Goliath wristwatch which the description says has a 48mm case w/o crown. That's a BIG watch!

Auction Image -- 48mm Case

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004