Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Putnam? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Michael Dias
posted
This watch was on EBay and listed as a Putnam. Would anyone disagree? I like the watch and it's deco influence. It has a simular profile of the Putnam, but I haven't seen one quite like it, especially without the seconds register.

Posts: 72 | Location: Benicia, California USA | Registered: May 10, 2006
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Does the inside of the case say Putnam or Hamilton? Nice looking case. I do not know the answer, but someone will know. Did you win the watch?

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
The watch is not a Hamilton Putnam. And with the exception of the movement (which would be incorrect for a Putnam anyhow), the watch isn't even a Hamilton.

This is a generic Art Deco styled case from the 1930s or 1940s made to house any number of 6/0 size movements from manufacturers such as Hamilton, Elgin, Illinois, etc. I have a number of discount jewelry and watch catalogs from the 1930s and 1940s which show these aftermarket cases sold as complete watches with reconditioned movements at fairly inexpensive prices. I presume the movements came from watches in which the original cases had been scrapped. At any rate, it was a way to give new life to an old watch.

The case is somewhat similar to the Hamilton Putnam, but has additional steps and detailing not found on the original Hamilton case. It will also lack the proper Hamilton and Wadsworth hallmarks inside the caseback.

The dial is also aftermarket, made to fit the case and the movement... Hamilton did not make a 986 or 986A powered watch with a rectangular dial configuration.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
THIS - is a real Putnam - very difficult to find without wear on the many sharp corners of the case.

Dan

Putnam picture

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
The cases looks different from the last post. Are you saying it isn't a Putnam?

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
If you mean the pic. at the top of this thread from Mr Dias - then that is most definately NOT a Putnam.

Dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Picture of Michael Dias
posted
Thanks for all the responses. I had my suspicions, but the case is a rather attractive speciman.

IHC Life Member
posted
Many of these watches which were made up in new cases have -- Hamilton Movement --- on the dial - indicating that only the movement is genuine Hamilton - the rest, case and dial, are replacements.

dan

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
The Putnam is magnificent. True Delicious Deco.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Picture of Michael Dias
posted
Oh Bill,

Picture of Michael Dias
posted
Bill, I really like that Putnam! What styling they have. I'm Deco all the way!
Mike

IHC Life Member
posted
Because of all the sharp edges to the Putnam case style it is very difficult to find an example that is not showing brass along the edges - this makes it an expensive watch to find a good one.

A white gold-filled version might look fine rhodium plated, if anyone out there knows where rhodium plating can be done ?

Dan.