Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bulova Age Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
I have a vintage Bulova with a 7AK movement. in an odd corner there is an engraved "47". Would that be the year of manufacture? I have read that a "D" in that spot indicates that it is a 1936 movement but I'm curious about the subsequent date codes.

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007
posted
Jiim,

According to this chart, that would be the year marking. After '48, they went to the letter-number code on the caseback or the movement.

I believe that I got this chart from Bruce Shawkey at some time in the past, but I don't recall where he got it.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Thanks Cary, That is great, more than I even hoped for.

Best regards, Jim

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Most Bulova collectors know this, but to keep information together during the 1950s Bulova used an L-Prefix with M in the 1960s and N in the 1970s followed by the last number of the year.

Examples.....M6 is 1966 and NO is 1970

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Thanks Lindell... very helpful.

Regards, Jim

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I have a 10AK with the symbol used for both 1932 and 1942. How do I know which date it is, or does the model pretty much make it one or the other?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Jerry,

I believe that the 10AK is a later movement, so I would bet that the '42 date would be correct. Styling should be a tip-off as well.

Cary

posted
I have a 7AP, 21 jewels with "AAA" stamped on the movement, the symbol appears to be from 1931.

Curved case B-10K Gold Filled 9809121

Posts: 391 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 20, 2006
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hi all, I just today acquired a Bulova curved (like a curvex) case watch. It has a 7AH movement but no date code and no serial number. It is marked swiss.

What would be the best way to put a date of manufacture on this watch?

Thanks, Jim

posted
Jim,

Without seeing the watch, this is a wild guess... I would be willing to bet that Bulova was forced to import complete watches from Switzerland during the WW2 years, as their domestic production capability had to be dedicated to the military. These complete watches might not have had the date codes that would have been added upon their "casing and timing" in the USA. Those companies that wanted something to sell to civilians went to some pretty drastic steps. Hamilton recycled obsolete movements, Gruen imported complete watches in small batches. It wouldn't surprise me if your watch is from the war years.

Just a hunch,

Cary

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Cary, You beat me to the punch. Here is a shot of the movement. Your theory sounds good to me. Thanks, Jim

Movement