Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rolex, GMT Master II, See the Restored Watch Now "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I picked up a GMT II in its original box, original sales slip, original band etc. The problem is the movement is not running. I took the back off and the weight for the self wind mechanism is all "askew" for lack of a better term. Now, my question is, is there enough residual value to restore this watch, or is it better used for parts. My take is that this is valued around $4000-5000 in pristine condition. You can see it isn't in that shape.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Missing crown

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
The hands and dial appear to be excellent. It is a T<25 dial. Watch was originally purchased in Cadiz, Navel exchange in 1998.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Last dial shot

IHC Member 1016
posted
The boxes and paperwork are in great shape for their age.

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
take it with ya to Az and we will see what my watchmaker got to say or what ya asking as is Big Grin

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
Mike would you like to sell this watch?

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013
IHC Member 1016
posted
Billy, I would entertain offers. My plan is to take it to a watchmaker next week who is a certified Rolex guy. But, If the right offer came around who knows? As you can see, the watch needs a bezel insert replaced, and I know the movement needs extensive work. The good thing is that I haven't touched it with a tool! Cool
The case would clean up fine I believe, and the band is correct and original and should polish up well.

IHC Member 1016
posted
I got a wild hair and gently pushed the stem with a small tool. The watch started running and is still going. It was in the Hack position! Still needs work on self wind.

posted
got pictures of the guts(movement)

IHC Member 1016
posted

IHC Member 1016
posted
I sent the watch to Chris Abell to see what he thought. We decided to restore it and here is the finished product. I don't actually have it in hand yet but it sure looks different.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Angle 1

IHC Member 1016
posted
Angle 2

IHC Member 1016
posted
The back side. It was worth restoring. Think I'll keep it for a bit.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
This looks great! What a great addition to your collection I am sure.
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
posted
nice one .

IHC Member 1016
posted
This watch looked, to me, like a basket case. I got it from an antique place in town and they had sent it to a watchmaker (through a local jeweler) who told them it was "thrashed and needed to be sent to Rolex to get it running". They suggested putting a Quartz movement in it. I guess with a story like that, this is a "true save". If anyone has thoughts of sending a valuable watch off for repair Chris is your man. He stayed in touch both telephonically, and via e mail, worked quickly and did a tremendous job. I recommend visiting his web site and bookmarking it for the future.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
He does the same magic to Omega's too. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Looks like a great job and I am glad you decided to have the restorations done rather than take a quick profit. Now you have something worthwhile to use and/or resell whenever you choose !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
Yes Buster. The problem is I'm falling in love with it already. I will eventually either trade or sell. My Gold Datejust is on the big auction site in the cyber world now.