• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rare Hamilton "Captain Rice" "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Very rare model in outstanding condition just sold on Ebay. Only 603 made in 14K white gold.

Posts: 113 | Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
posted
A view of the case back

posted
Side of case

posted
Movement

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Looks like a really nice one, I'm sure the buyer will be pleased. Cool

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Bryan--Anyone,
Please tell me more about the Captain Rice.
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
posted
Here is some info from Will Roseman's site

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
This is only the third or fourth example of a white Captain Rice I've seen in over ten years. This one is particularly nice in that the subtle beveled edge along the sides of the bezel is still distinct and not overly worn.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

posted
Here is the Captain Rice from the 1931 catalog

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
And here's an interesting twist in the story -- the watch was originally called the "Floyd Bennett," but only for a little over a month:

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
I've had a keen interest in the history of polar aviation since I was a child.

Floyd Bennett was one of the most famous American aviators during the 1920s, and his notoriety was eclipsed perhaps only by that of Charles Lindbergh. And maybe he wouldn't have been eclipsed by Lindbergh at all if Bennett had successfully flown solo across the Atlantic instead of crashing his overloaded plane on takeoff in the attempt.

Bennett piloted Richard Byrd's possibly successful attempt to be the first to fly over the North Pole in 1926... there is some dispute as to whether they actually made it to the Pole. Anyhow, Bennett received the the Congressional Medal of Honor for his role in the historic flight, as did Byrd.

And Byrd went on to have a Hamilton wristwatch named for him, too. Byrd also endorsed Bulova wristwatches... just as Lindbergh did. Celebrity endorsements are certainly nothing new.

Bennett pictured below...

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

posted
When I first got out of school, I worked near Miami, Florida. I remember more than once taking my bagged lunch or going through a nearby drive-thru and going over to sit in the stands of Hialeah Park (off-season) and watching the flamingos in the center of the track. IF memory serves, Captain Rice was also a huge horseracing fan who was one of the founders of the track. (I read a lot of small brass plaques...LOL)

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
posted
OOPS... long-term memory just clicked in... It was Glenn Curtiss, not Captain Rice. Smile

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Mine in as-found condition is below. For what is reported as a "hand-made" case, the Capt. Rice is one solid watch, with back and sides thicker and better fitting than all of Hamilton's subsequent machine stamped cases.

(And a Bank money-value calculator gives the 1931 cost of $150 as being worth around $1990 in 2006 money !)

Dan.

Capt. Rice

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is the March 1930 National Geographic ad. for the Floyd Bennett, and another appeared in the May edition.

NG ad.

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005