Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Recent additions (Hamilton) "Click" to Login or Register 
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
I thought I would post a topic that would allow people to show off their recent additions.

I have been very fortunate to pick up some great Hamilton's lately and thought I would share. Nothing to rare, but still great looking watches

The first , Heyward - late 30's

I love the deco steps and this will be a theme in some of the following pics

Posts: 61 | Location: Sarasota, Florida U.S.A. | Registered: May 30, 2004
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
A WGF Oval , the more i wear this watch the more it becomes one of my favorites

I changed the band to a lighter tan,

Picture credit - B Girouard

Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
WGF Whitney

I was hestitant to buy this watch - no regrets now - it is a wonderful watch

Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
YGF Putnam

This has to be my favorite design from Hamilton - the first time i saw a picture over a year ago , i knew i wanted one.

A year later, when i started collecting , i was able to find one in great shape

Awesome watch

These are my watches, my photography skills are terrible - so i cheated and used Bryan's pics of the watches.

Can you guess my source for these beauties?

I may post some more, once i work on my photo skills.

Some wonderful watches from great period of time for Hamilton

Time for show n' tell

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Gary:

Wow! You have found two great Hamiltons - and both look to be in wonderful condition.

Although I don't have many post-1936 Hamilton's, the Heyward is a wonderfully designed watch (1937) and certainly one that I would be interested in owning. And what can be said about the Oval that hasn't already been said. It is perhaps my all time favorite Hamilton made (I also love the Oakmont, Meadowbrook and Andrews but it depends on the mood I am in as to which one is my favorite). And you seem to have found a great example. The Oval is unique amongst vintage wristwatches - the design says "Hamilton" better than any of Hamilton's other watches. When you wear and Oval, there is no question as to what is on your wrist.

I see that you purchased the Hamilton from Bryan. I too have purchased numerous watches from him. He is more than reasonable and few people are as knowledgeable as he is. When you purchase a watch from Bryan, you know that the watch is original and complete. I say this not because I like him but because it is the truth and there are far too many people out there that you have to be careful of.

Do you have many more that you will be sharing with us. I would love to see what else you have purchased.

Wear them in health.

Regards,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Hey, a few of those look really familiar!

Gary is off to a impressive start with the early Hamiltons. He and I like the same watches, it was really tough to let some of these go.

The early Hamiltons are of equal or higher quality than the high-end collectible Swiss brands, and in many cases, much rarer... yet more reasonably priced.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Gary:

I see that you posted additional Hamiltons in the forum before I could even post my last comment. What great watches again!

The Whitney is amazing - another unique Hamilton design and the Putnam's a beauty too. Seems that you have a great Hamilton collection. Are these recent additions?

Bryan does a great job photographing his watches. I have tried on numerous occasions to match the quality of his pictures but to no avail so I am embarrassed to say, I too have "lifted" Bryan's pictures to include on my site. Naturally, I give him credit on my site but it would be great to be able to mimic is photography skill. Frown

Regards,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
posted
I don't think this is limited to Hamilton only, so mine is an early Elgin. I got it at my chapter mart. It is rose gold filled with a steel back. This to the best of my knowledge is an aftermarket casing as the movement is a 15J, 5/0S, Lady Elgin, c 1920. As the dial is marked just Elgin and not Elgin movement, I am assuming that this was an Elgin authorized aftermarket casing. The case is not marked Elgin in the back. My watchmaker friend, who's jewelry store was an Elgin dealer, told me that they were authorized to recase small movements into cases and still use the Elgin name on the dial. The dials came from Elgin, but he did not say whether the cases also came from Elgin.

Tom