Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Show Us a Wrist Watch with an Unusual Inscription "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I'll start out this thread with a wrist watch I recently purchased on eBay. I bought it mainly because it is an Illinois "Lady Stewart," which are fairly rare. The "frosting on the cake" was the inscription on the back. I wonder if it was a swim club, or a drinking club Big Grin Tom, any info on this scout?

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
This is a shot of the front. Needs a little TLC, but just got it two days ago.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
This shot shows my primary interest in the watch. In 3-years of looking, this is only the third 3/0 size Lady Stewart I have found.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I like that Bruce.

There are quite a few Tom Harned's but this one struck me because he was the general sales manager for Liquid Carbonic Co. This is from the General Alumni Catalog of the University of Pa 1922

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
If by chance that is him he was born in Camden NJ on June 10, 1883 (not 1882 as in the article).

By WWII he was married & living in Oakland Ca. & was working for Pure Carbonic Inc. according to his WWII Draft Card. His middle name is Biggs.

He died shortly after on July 6, 1945 in Alameda Ca.

IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, great information! Thanks a bunch.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Your welcome Bruce. I can't say it is him but the Liquid on the case & the fact he work for Liquid Carbonic sure seem like a big coincidence.

If his the guy, his father was an attorney & apparently was a collector of Walt Whitmans papers, I saw several mentions about him.

IHC Life Member
posted
Wow, I'm glad you pointed out the "Liquid" connection...I didn't spot that the first time around. I think this must be the guy! Thanks again.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is from a magazine called The Soda Fountain Vol 21 published Jan 1922.

IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, this is fantastic! I had no idea that Liquid Carbonic had something to do with the soda fountain business. They must have been suppliers of those big gas canisters that put the bubbles in a glass of soda. Interesting stuff. P.S.- Finally starting to use the Seitz jeweling set you sold me and liking it a lot Cool