• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Classic, Timeless, Vintage Heirloom "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Thank-you for the opportunity to be a part of this community. I have enjoyed this forum for over a year and learned so very much. .

I have been collecting vintage wristwatches for alittle over 2 years now and have a most enjoyable small collection of a few Hamiltons, Elgins, etc. I love these watches and have found them to be most enjoyable, servicable and great fun to wear.

Now for my question: I would like to buy a classic, timeless, heirloom quality watch to wear MOST all the time. This would be a watch to be identified by. A watch that my son would want and cherish as Dad's finest and yet a watch that Dad was most commonly seen in whether it be in a T-shirt or suit, at the ball-game or church. Sure Dad has some old watches but this watch is numero uno, a signature watch. It would have to be durable and reliable yet investment grade vintage for me to enjoy it.

I have been thinking about this for sometime now and have considered so many including a Rolex Submariner #6565, a Brietling Navitimer, an Omega Speedmaster or any 1950's Omega. Perhaps a quality triple date, moon phase. I have even studied some Patek Philippes.

If you could buy just one defining watch, what would you get? I will be most interested in your thoughts here. THANKS!! Russ

Russ Martin

Posts: 5 | Location: Orlando, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 12, 2005
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Perish the thought of just having one it like Lays potato chips to me I just can’t have one.
Having said that if money was no object it would be a Patek from the 20s or 30s. Being practical I most often wear my stainless steel Omega Seamaster bumper or my Hamilton white gold Tonneau.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
posted
Russell,

I agree with Rich's sentiments. Having one watch would be like having one pair of shoes. I also agree with him, that if I could have only one, it would be a Patek Calatrava, preferably early, preferably in stainless steel.

For individuality, nothing beats a long, solid gold Gruen Curvex.

My most worn watch, through days at the office, weekends of yard work and lots of international travel? A 1962 vintage Rolex Speedking, manual wind, on an alligator strap. Hard to beat for the combination of dependability, accuracy, durability, style, and a vintage look.

My two cents,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Russell.

I agree with Rich and Cary, why have one when you can have lots!

Money no object, a 1950's 18k red gold square Patek would be my object of desire!

One day, one day!

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
posted
Hello friends,

Thank-you so very much for your kind replies. I have spent a most enjoyable evening looking up examples of each of these.

First, Rich, you are so right...I am not buying this to own only one watch...a sad day that would be!! I am buying this watch to be the finest, yet most 'wearable' watch in my small collection.

I was able to find several examples of each of the recommended watches although the Pateks were more difficult to find. The Gruen Curvex is completely unique and I'm sure an immediate discussion piece, awesome look. I liked the Rolex Speedking, however I believe these have a case size of approx 30mm and I think for my watch I might look to 34mm or so. I have several Elgins and Bulovas in the 30-32mm range and although I really like their look and wear them constantly I might like slightly larger for this pinnacle watch.

I especially liked the bumper Omega in stainless steel with a black dial from the early to mid 50's idea. I have always thought of a bumper as a bit historic and fragile however with Omega quality it will surely 'out-bump' me. A bumper is so very classic and vintage and the occasional feel of the thump on you wrist is a reminder of its complexity. The black dial, stainless case look would be both dress and sport and, I think, durable. This led me also to some early 50's stainless Rolex Oyster Perpetuals with black dials (automatic, although not bumper).

I'm still working on this project and appreciate your recommendations.

Russ

Russ Martin

Posts: 5 | Location: Orlando, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 12, 2005
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Russ,
Most Omegas from the 50s did not come with black dials.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002