Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My $3.00 14K Watch from eBay "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Here is my 3.00 14k wristwatch i got with a buy it now on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5003838457

My wife ,me and the grandkids were getting ready to go to the smokey mountains the night this item came up on ebay,,while i was waiting for them to get ready i thought i would take a look and see what new items were up for sale and found this..

it was in the mailbox when i got home ,, the dail and movement are marked military watch co. and it is a 14k case..

It will need a new crystal and a winding stem ,,it will run but needs servicing ...

Maybe i can afford to get it going.. Smile Big Grin

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted

IHC Member 422
posted
Way to go Samie. That is what I call being in the right place at the right time. Also, knowing when to act. The watch has a A Schild 1194 movement which is a workhorse of a movement. I cut my teeth on these 47 years ago when I first started watchmaking. Clean it up and you have a very dependable piece.

E.Virgil Sampson, Jr.

Posts: 23 | Location: Gate City, Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: March 12, 2005
posted
Sammie,

great buy !!.

I'd suspect who ever sold it to you probably didn't know it was solid gold. If they did, then they weren't aware of the gold value.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
E.Virgil i was wondering which movement this was so i pulled the dial this afternoon to see,,you are right it is a A Schild 1194 .Did they make these as early as the 1940,s..

Dave i have no Idea why the price was 3.00 you would think that at the 3.00 price you would not even get your listing fee. back ..You can tell that someone has tried to get the back off from the scratches on the back cover...

this is a mystery the case is marked on the edge 14k but hard to see you would think that the seller would have saw the 14k mark..,,this is a heavy case i have not weighted it yet but i am sure the scrap price would be 20 times as much as i paid for it ..could be they made a mistake on the price they posted up..best buy i ever got on ebay.

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Good for you. It is a good habit to check those buy it nows frequently.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Member 422
posted
Samie

I am sure the 1194 was made in the forties, maybe even in late thirties. They were very plentiful in 1959 when I started. I still get one every once in a while. They are a great timepiece. I liken them to the early 6 cylinder Chevrolet. Very dependable. I am sure that the seller was not aware of it being 14K gold, or the price would have been much more.

Keep that sharp eye out for more bargains.

Best to you

Virgil

Posts: 23 | Location: Gate City, Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: March 12, 2005