Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Whats this? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I have just got a box of bits and within is this odd wrist watch pin set, I assume early wrist watch Swiss, it is running I have a new crystal for it, is it worth messing with, cleaning etc? any value, I also have a Buren Deluxe, (don’t look much deluxe about it!) managed to open it and it has "Swiss made Buren Delux 21 jewels adjusted" and one more another more modern Buren is this a known make, and one Water resistant s/proof will work on the back and get back if I open it.

[This message was edited by Chris A on March 06, 2004 at 18:36.]

p1

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
p2

Chris A

p2

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Managed to open the others both broken staffs both 21J Delux

Chris A

p3

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
p4

Chris A

p4

Watch Repair Expert
posted
The early "wire lugs" wristwatch is neat. The paint on the dial will most likely contain real radium, however, and it would be best not to disturb it. Needless to say, radium is highly radioactive, and has a half-life of about 1700 years. To really make that watch "right," you'll need to find a "Kitchner" [sp?] style band for it. It has a cylinder escapement, which is "interesting," but cannot be expected to be a superior timekeeper, and they can be a problem to repair if the cylinder staff is damaged.

Buren watches were retailed through Montgomery Ward & Co. I'm not sure if they were a "house brand," but if not, Wards was the largest single retailer of them. By and large, they're "average" quality watches, and as might be guessed by the similarity of the movements in your two Burens above, those are from essentially the same time period (i.e., early to mid 1950s).

==================

Steve Maddox
Past President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks for the quick response, The wire lug pin set is in running order, I would it and has been running for 1 hour so far!

Chris A

posted
Buren made some great watches! Note these watches you have pictured are adjusted which cost them a few extra bucks to import into the u.s.a. Buren micro-rotor was a big deal in its day and so big that Hamilton used it as did Bulova in their Ambassador line. And i think even Universal Geneve used it!

Hamilton liked them so much they bought the company!

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Several different companies used the "micro rotor" idea, but it's no different from the situation that exists with the "bumper" idea, or the "full rotor" idea. Lots of different companies produced all of those types, but the type should not be presumed to "link" any of the companies who used the basic design.

That said, however, there was a link between Buren and Hamilton, but not between either of those and Universal, Piaget, or any of the other major producers of "micro rotor" models (at least, not until the Hamilton/Breitling/Buren/Tag/Zodiac, etc. automatic chronograph, which also used a micro rotor movement). Very simply put, Buren designed and produced the movements used by Hamilton in their "Thin-O-Matic" models of the 1960s, etc..

The image below is taken from the 1949 edition of "Consumer Union" magazine, which was the predecessor of today's "Consumer Reports." In the list at the extreme right, 46 watch brands are named in order of best to worst, and CU rates Buren as number 35 on that list in terms of overall quality.

At the bottom of the center column, a note about Buren watches says:

"Buren watches, distributed in the United States by Montgomery Ward, are priced from $11.95 up in 7-jewel models, $15.95 up in 17-jewel models."

======================

SM

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
posted
Bulova, Buren, Dugena and Hamilton used the movement and the Intramatic movement that Buren modified was a joint venture with Breitling Leonidas, Dubois-Depraz, Hamilton and Heuer.

Definitely a connection between Hamilton and many other big companies.

Here is a TERRIFIC site DEVOTED to the BUREN/Hamilton automatics by John Davis.

http://people.timezone.com/msandler/Articles/DavisHamil.../HamiltonBuren2.html

Nice movements, these watches with Swiss movements contracted by USA companies and then with many of them cased and timed in the USA are collectable and deserve more study.

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Fascinating to read all the above but can I steer you back a bit, that old pin set, how old? The other two we seem to think about 50s, now do they have any sale value? Should I sell as a group for a few dollars or would the pin set be worth selling on its own, since I wound it yesterday it has been running fine, not checked for accuracy yet but a good start.

Chris A

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Amazing what a gentle wipe will do!. the hands are great I love them and still have a lot of original blue to them. does anybody have a strap to suit?,

Chris A

p5