WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

PHOTOS ATTACHED Longines 9LT 17J Questions (PHOTOS ATTACHED) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I have an opportunity to buy a 17 J Longines, rectangular shaped WW in a marked 14K gold case. The watch does not run and is the 9LT movement made in 1950 according to SN. I believe it only needs cleaning, crystal and band. What is the level of rarity and value for something like this? The case weighs 10 grams and I can figure that out, but is this simply a gold only value, or is there some value to the watch. It would require some $$$ going into it to make it restored. Sorry I cannot provide a photo at this time.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
Hi Mike, I have a passion for Longines wrist watches, they have a great look including the modern ones made today. Unlike the movements Longines is using today, your 9LT was made by Longines and was their workhorse WW movement, and they keep fantastic time. The value of the watch is not in the movement since many 9LT's were made, but more in the shape of the case. There were far fewer solid gold cases made and pictures of the rarer 14k solid gold cases can be seen in the "complete guide to watches" fat book. In most cases, the routinely seen 14k 9LT's in better than average shape will sell for around $350.00 and are referred to as Tanq or Tank wristwatches. Personally I have a small wrist and most of these TANQ watches are rather petite. Most dials were metal and if they were exposed to mosture they are propably in need of restoration. My father gave me his 1952 Tanq 14k 9LT 20 years ago which he purchased new and never wore.The band was dry rotted and fell apart but the watch is mint, I'll post a few pics later today for you. enjoy

Posts: 311 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
posted
1952 Longines Tanq WW 14k solid gold case 9LT movement

posted
case back

posted
9LT movement

posted
inside case back

IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Joseph, The one I have access to is very similar to yours. Case looks nearly the same, and the dial is slightly different. It needs a new crystal and I don't know how hard these are to find. Any info on the availability of a new crystal? I may make an offer as it looks to be in good shape, but do not wish to be in it for big money.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
These crystals are readily available. and not real expensive. New from a watch supply house up to $20. But there are millions out there in individual stock. I usually sell them for $10. for a vintage watch crystal.

As for as value if you pay a little over gold value you should be ok if you are planning to keep the watch. As for as resell if you have to pay some one to service the watch add a crystal, band, fees to ebay. Then the real challange is to find a buyer that is willing to pay for your effort.

I normally will pay melt gold value for most watches. Not the 85 to 90% that most gold scrappers will pay. Reselling wristwatches for me has always been a challage.

As for as your watch you are talking about it is sort of a average looking Longines. When I say average what I am talking about the shape of the Lugs. Look in the book that was mentioned earlier in your post. Asymmetrical or just out of the ordinary always more collectable. Hence more valuable. Lecoultra's 14kt are always a easier to sell.

As for as just the movement 9lt's bring good prices on the bay. Did you do a search on ebay.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Gene, I did buy the watch and will do a search. I think I'll look for a crystal if it will run when cleaned. I think a leather band would be appropriate for this watch.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
If you have a Digital Micrometer. email me the dimensions of the opening.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1016
posted
I removed the balance and cleaned it and now the watch does run. How well? We shall see. Gene, I'll try and get a measurement tomorrow and see if you have one for it. It may be a good watch. Definately needs a service but the dial is in good shape other than being dirty, and the hands look to be in good shape too.

IHC Member 1016
posted
The dial and hands

IHC Member 1016
posted
Case marking

IHC Member 1016
posted
Movement

IHC Member 1016
posted
I will probably sell this so if any members are interested let me know before I sink any money into it, or list it. Case back clearly marked.