WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Universal Geneve Early Polerouter Calibre 138ss C. 1953-54 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
I got this early Universal Geneve off ebay and really didn't know the historical significance until I researched it.

This was one of the earlier 138ss bump automatics which would become known as the "Polerouter" which would introduce in the fall of 1954 as being used by the SAS Air Service as the watch of choice for first direct commercial flights over the North Pole. The 138ss was short lived being replaced just a year later with the 215.

Also the first design produced for UG by the world renowned Gerald Genta at the age of only 23!

I'm sure others know more about this model feel free to add anything you'd care to.

Just a neat historic hi end wrist to wear. What do you think?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1338
posted
138ss "bump" automatic movement

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
nice one,those bumpers are cool watches
Tom is Tiki yorki or silky terrier?

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Peach! Is it a keeper, or will it be here, or on your site?

Thanks, Nick

Posts: 124 | Location: Ottawa in Canada | Registered: December 21, 2012
IHC Member 1338
posted
Peter; He's a Yorkie with silky hair...LOL

Nick; I'm gonna keep this one awhile, if and when it comes up for sale I'll give you a head's up.

Thanks!

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

posted
Thanks, Tom.

That would be great. I collect 1950s Swiss automatics. Keen on dials just like that, too.

Best regards, Nick

Posts: 124 | Location: Ottawa in Canada | Registered: December 21, 2012