• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Hamilton question this time. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
In addition to my questions about a Valencia from a few days ago, I also have questions about a Hamilton wrist watch. What is it? Does it have a name? How old is it? Should I go ahead and have it cleaned up? Is it worth anything? All of the usual questions about a new found watch.
Again, any info would be most appreciated.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Here is the inside back of the case.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Lastly, the inner workings. The number on here is Y349828. Thanks again for any help I can get! Smile

posted
not that knowledgable bout wrists... but ...

believe it will be called a 'craig'.... Big Grin

posted
Ed, There is a pic of your "Craig" and info on page 806 of Shugart's book. I believe as to why Terry entered the smiley on his post is that if you look on the inside of the case back, you will see the model name engraved there.

Tom

posted
Oh well, sure if you want to acutally READ what's on the inside of the watch. Oy. I opened it, took a picture, ran it through photoshop to clean it up, read it any number of times, and never got it. Powers of obversation are truly diminishing with age. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Now I'm going to go figure out who that guy is who keeps looking at me in the mirror! Big Grin Thanks again.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Hi Ed.

Great post!

If you contact Hamilton, they will assist.

I received a super reply from "Rene Rondeau", regarding my Hamilton! (Attached)

I attach reply from Hamilton, c/o Rene Rondeau.

"Your watch is a bit curious. The case is unquestionably a "Coburn," while the dial is from a "Carlyle." Both were sold from 1958-1961 but neither was listed with an alternate dial. However, as you'll see in my book, Hamilton did sometimes make non-catalogued variations for expediency -- in a 1957 internal report they wrote that "it often becomes necessary to recase some models, to change dials, and work at top speed, particularly in the Casing and Dial departments, just before the Christimas season." It's entirely possible that they found themselves with Coburn cases but no available dials, so they used what was at hand. However it's also possible this was switched later on -- many watches that are coming into the market today are cobbled from watchmakers' spare parts. In some instances there's just no way to know if a peculiar combination left the factory that way".

Best regards,
Rene Rondeau

As you can see a most descriptive response!

Give it a go ED!

Good luck.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006