Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Display Box Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
I love to add emphera to whatever I am collecting.

It is nice to have old ads, display boxes etc , to me it seems to round out the collection

I picked up a Hamilton case , we have all seen them on ebay , mine is about 5 inches long and 2 inches or so in width , fortunely it came with the price tag($55)

Is there any way to date them to a particular era depending on the style and shape , crest or Hamilton name only on the inside of the box, etc

I assume the same style box was used for men and ladies watches.

Were the long and narrow boxes from the 40's ?

I realize they used whatever they needed to at the moment to ship and sell watches, so this may be a mute question

Thanks in advance for any help or direction to look

Gary

Posts: 61 | Location: Sarasota, Florida U.S.A. | Registered: May 30, 2004
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
Hamilton used a variety of different boxes in different eras, with different sizes for men's and ladies'. The most common are the long simulated 'ivory' plastic boxes, which were used from 1935-1954. There are some variations in the lining. Can you post a picture of the one you have?

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

First, check the long ivory colored boxes Reneé referred to. Base measurements for the longer of the two is about 55mm by 255mm and 29mm high where it's 53mm by 209mm and 28mm high for the shorter one.

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Below, here are the "cuff style" ivory boxes for want of a better term. Base measurement is about 85mm by 133mm and 46mm high for the larger one and 63mm by 134mm and 38mm high for the smaller one.

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
In January of 1957, This is the style of box that Hamilton used to package "the watch of the future".

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Another look

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
Looks like I bought the ladies version of the "cuff" box - oh well, I will have to find the larger size in both styles.

On the inside lid, there is the Hamilton crest with the name in a ribbon

Bill/Rene- did the everest come in the same style box as well?

thanks

Posts: 61 | Location: Sarasota, Florida U.S.A. | Registered: May 30, 2004
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
I found an example of the everest in what appeared to be the original box. This is a photo of the box.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17