• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gallet watch help "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, I've had this watch since 1973 and have never known much about it. I've read the history of Gallet but can't find this in "The Complete Price Guide" Anyone have any idea what model it is? Any idea of its approximate worth? Oh , I'm really new at this so please excuse the photos. Thank you for any comments

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
posted
The movement

posted
Hi Michael

A nice 2-pusher Cronograph by Gallet !

If you have read about the history of Gallet it is not necessary to tell you about the manufacturer.

Was the watch new in 1973 ?

As far as i can see from the tiny pictures (sorry)
The movement is a Valjoux 72 calibre. The model seems to be one of the 'Gallet Multichron' line.

If you take pictures for uploading you may set your camera on a lower resolution or try to resize with 'Picassa' (free) or similiar program.
Resize to 480 * 640 or 800 * 600 pixels and jpeg and view the result om 100% enlargement on your screen. If you there can see something we will do too.

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Gerald, Thanks for the information. Yes , The watch was new in 1973 (It of course may have been on the shelf a while) As I said I'm just learning about the fine art of posting pictures. Your information there will also be a big help, Thanks again, Mike

posted
Gerald ,thank you again. You have opened a whole new area of investigation for me. (Valjoux) Mike

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Michael that,s a nice chrono if you decide too sale it be sure and let me know..samie348@alltel.net

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Samie, Actually , my wife gave me this watch so probably I'll not be TOO tempted to sell it. If it were for sale can you give me an idea of what it might bring?

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
I saw this on ebay and wanted it. But can't afford it right now.
Ebay Item number: 140340743265. It's a Gallet.

Sold on ebay for $761 on Aug 31,2009

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
posted
Michael,
I've just noticed your Gallet Chrono. Here's a very nice one I have which is almost identical. I've seen watches of this style & vintage, in good condition selling for approx. $900.00 - $1200.00

Wayne, if I'm correct the watch you showed may not be totally authentic. I think you'll find the style of case, although it looks great has probably been altered from the original.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Thanks Dave, I'm glad I couldn't afford it!

Wayne

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
posted
Michael(& Gerald),
I forgot to mention your chrono, and mine date back to the middle 1950's.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Thank you Dave and Wayne. I'd better take better care of my watch! I actually lost it in a snow drift last year and when I discovered it had fallen off my wrist ,backtracked (rural mailroute)and found one end of the band sticking out of the snow at the base of a mailbox.. At least I hadn't run over it. I now wear it only occasionaly to church.
Wayne, what do you suppose the spiral track on the dial of the watch you showed was used to time?
Thanks again, Mike

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Inside spiral track is a Tachymeter. Normaly the tachymeter is on the outer edge near or on the bezel on most chronograph watches that have this feature. I have never seen a watch with the tachymeter on the inside in a spiral configuration before. I have never needed to use a tachymeter & don't know how to use it. Any tackymeter experts out there?

Wayne

posted
I know how to use the Tachymeter but didn't recognize it as such, Thanks. To use the meter(on mine anyway) you run a vehicle through a measured mile starting the meter at the beginning and stopping the meter at the end. The meter reading on the tach is miles per hour over the measured mile. On todays New Mexico highways with
a constant supply of mile markers it is amazing how close the watch is to the speedometer . There may well be other more technical uses but thats how I've always used it. Mike

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Michael and Wayne, here is a good description of a Tachometer and it's use....

Tachometer

BTW, Great looking watches....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Hi Jerry, Actually both of these watches are marked TELEMETER Which I have just come to find is a meter used to measure distance from something which is both audible and visible , such as lightning strikes or artillery flashes.
A TACHOMETER is the gauge on your dashboard that tells you engine speed.
I think TACKYMETER is a word used to denote a gauge that you don't know what the **** does , but measures something.
Actually, I would think there are other meanings for all of these and I certainly am open for comment and correction. Seems like I've seen meters that are actually marked tackymeter but it may have been in my dreams... Mike

posted
Tachymeter - speed

Telemeter - distance of par example a thunderstorm

Both are on the three watches

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Aha!! You are right Gerald.. Heck if I'd known it didn't have a tachometer I'd have never bought it Mike

posted
I have noticed over the years that a chronograph with a fully numbered hour register sub dial will likely be a Valjoux 72 as opposed to a Venus or Landeron movement. Just a casual observation based on my success at buying Valjoux 72 chronos. at live auctions without opening case. (Also one can deduce a pillar wheel operating system from a cam system by the "feel" of the operating pusher)

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
posted
Hello to all,

This is my first post here.

I have noticed that Gallet is purchasing watches for building the Gallet museum collection.

I sold for them an pocket Gallet in Ebay.

Cheers,

Paulo

Posts: 48 | Location: Near Sao Paulo, Brazil | Registered: January 06, 2010
posted
If 14 lignes, it is Valjoux 22. Precursor to Valjoux 23 (13 lignes). There's one on my bench now. Sliding gear is distinctive.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004