Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Glendale: One Amazing Small Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
"Help, I've fallen, and I can't get up".

Several months ago I was sitting at home, minding my own business, when I received an email from a respected Hamilton Watch Dealer and a person I've had the pleasure to know for the past 3 years.

On that Fateful night, he wrote a quick email to me, which basically said: I have an opportunity to land a yellow Glendale. It will cost you XXXX (read, far more than your first car). You must decide quickly. I have a narrow window of opportunity.

So, being me, I said yes. My wife noticed my flushed color, and my stuttering. I had just been offered what I consider the Holy Grail of the early, solid gold Hamilton wrist watches.

The Glendale is a monumental watch. Small. Ornate, Elegant. Amazing. While there are many great Hamilton's that demand fantastic prices (Rose Gold Ventura, Flight I, K-475, Spur, Solid Gold Oval, Pinehurst, and many, many more), the Glendale is different.

The Glendale isn't like the Solid Gold Otis, or the Solid Gold Seckron....two watches in the catalog that were only produced for the sales division in gold fill. These are special "One offs". These are fantastic, and highly desired.

The Glendale is different in that it was an amazing, beautiful design that failed to sell. Too feminine? Too ornate? Who knows?!

It is hard to explain to a psychiatrist why you just spent 15K on a watch. A small watch.

Evidently I made a good argument. She now agrees that a white gold counterpart would be a worthy addition to my small collection of watches.

This is the Hamilton Glendale...

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Rene Rondeau had the following to say about this watch in his book: Hamilton Watch, A collectors Guide:

This very rare watch was described in the Hamilton catalog as

"Rich in design, a popular model for business or sports, smartly styled to meet the demand for an ornate strap watch".

Rene follows with: As an indication of how untrue that claim of popularity proved to be, Hamilton's records later report

"To reduce stock of cases on hand when inventory of 979 movements was exhausted, about 195 white and 140 yellow Glendale cases were sent to Schwab & Wuischpard to be melted. Style not pouplar. Demand not Active".

Only 97 were made in 14K yellow gold like this one.

Another 209 were made in white gold.

This watch is almost as small in size as the Spur. It uses a 15mm strap.

It takes my breath away...

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

14K Yellow Gold Case Back...

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Inside Case Back Markings...

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Finally, the 19-Jewel 979 Movement...

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...magnificent...breathtaking...well done!...my latest, a Ham 'Sectometer' that I just acquired, pales...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Wow... I'm almost speechless.

What a fine example of this truly great Hamilton rarity. It is 1 of only 2 examples that I have ever seen and maybe ever will see.

Congratulations.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004