• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rolex with japan movement.Fake or real? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have come across a listing on ebay for a "Rolex oyster perpetual".Only thing is, it has a japan movement.I am not sure that this is a genuine Rolex as I am certain Rolex do not have japanese movements.Any confirmation please to its probable authenticity.The seller alleges the watch was serviced and certified genuine by a jeweller.

Posts: 26 | Location: Nottingham, England | Registered: March 31, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Michael,

One word answer... FAKE ...and here is why, every genuine Rolex is SWISS MADE and there are no Japanese, Chinese or any thing other than Swiss movements in genuine Rolex watches. If the one in question has a Japanese movement it is absolutely, positively a fake and the auction should be reported immediately to eBay as such, this is a serious liability issue.

Since the seller claims a "jeweler" certified it as "genuine" you can bet your bottom dollar that so-called "jeweler" was not an authorized Rolex dealer or anyone in any way knowledgeable about Rolex watches. You can go to any jeweler and get an opinion on a fake, that opinion and a dollar will get you a can of Coca-Cola on a hot afternoon!

I urge you to Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185™ and have access to Avoiding the PITFALLS of On-Line Trading! where we discuss such things as this in great detail all day every day.

Hope this is of help to you,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Well said Lin, any watch that is marked Rollex and has a Japanese movement is a fake. Of course there's nothing wrong with a Japanese movement, it's just not a Rolex.

As for random jewelers, the sum total of their watch knowledge will be changing the battery on a quartz watch, on a good day.

I'd also urge you to join up as a member Michael. It'll be the best $12 you ever spent. Wink

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Many thanks for the help.I was 100% certain Rolex never did japanese movements.The seller even had the nerve to tell me I know nothing when I said it was a fake, prior to posting here.I replied to the seller that i know more than them and their so-called jeweller who is a back street cowboy, and said i would notify ebay to have the watch removed .An hour or so later, it was removed.

Posts: 26 | Location: Nottingham, England | Registered: March 31, 2009
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Good for you Mike....well done. You get an "atta boy" from all of us here.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008