Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Info/Value Of Old Gruen? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Somebody e mailed me this picture and asked to make a reasonable offer. I can't find any info on this. Any idea on value? Thanks you.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
posted
Mark, For whatever reason, collectors desire square or rectangular wristwatches over round ones. So, prices of round watches, even solid gold ones, are generally less in value.

I have a couple of 17J round Gruens in silver colored base metal cases, in good running order, that I have put on the table at my local mart for $20, and they have not sold. Mine are newer, ie 1950-60's. The one in your pic appears to be older, ie c 30's or 40's. That should up the value slightly. I don't think the watch would command a high price. Just my opinion

Tom

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Mark,
They are not bad watches most like the one you have pictured have 15 jewel movements marked Gruen Guild.
They were were considered to be a lesser grade then some of Gruens other watches. At marts you find them ranging from $5.00 to $50.00. I assume this one is running if not you would be at the lower end of the spectrume. Running I would buy this one for no more than $20.00 and truth be told I would want to pay less.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002