Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Painted dial cleaning "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
A family member just gave me a Goering Watch Co. (swiss) 14k white gold , 19 jewel, 2 adjusments, womans watch. Talking with her I believe it dates to at least the 1940's.
I cleaned the case and crystal. The dial is I believe painted and is very dirty.
What can I use to clean the dial that would not jeopardize the paint?

Thanks

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
I cleaned some painted dials with just a mild Dawn Dish soap and a tooth brush. I also ruined a painted dial using the Comet tile cleaner so I don't recommend using that for your painted dial.

Good luck!

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Ernie,
I tried the dish washing liquid. It took off about half of the crud. It appears as though the dial was over sprayed with laquer or something and that is where most of the crud is.
I'll soak it some more.
Thanks

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Ed,
You can also have the dial refinished.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Brian,
This is going to be one of my "experimental" watches. It is going to be my first complete take down watch. A little on the small side but cheap.
E-bay has 6 of these swiss movements listed for $9.99. So nothing lost if I fudge it up.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Ed: I also cleaned a dial that had some kind of over spray on it with a thinner. Do not soak the dial in the thinner. You really have to be careful as the thinner will soften the paint. What I did was put a little tinner (not too much) on a soft rag or paper towel and just wipe the spot lightly watching carefully if the thinner is starting to effect the paint on the dial. All you want to do is take the foreign substance off. work slow and just do a small area at a time.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Ernie, thanks I will give it a try.

posted
i have actually used lighter petrol to clean dials.It may take a few applications, and be time consuming, but it does bring them up clean.

Posts: 26 | Location: Nottingham, England | Registered: March 31, 2009
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
A pencil eraser will help on some dials. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004