WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Wristwatches-were most if not all factory cased originally? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
In regards to pocket watches, we know of factory cased watches and jewelers cased watches upon request. We also know of private label pocket watches. Eek

Were wristwatches exclusively factory cased or did one have the opportunity to choose a case such as with pocket watches? Confused Were there private label wristwatches as well? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Steph, I'd say this was factory cased.... Wink

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
There are Waltham and Elgin wrist watches out there with what appear to be 'O" and 'OOO' size movements where the serial numbers indicate manufacture well before the wrist watch era. Many of these are in base metal (silverode, silverine, nickel silver, etc) or rolled gold plate bezels with base metal backs with no watch factory name on the cases. They could be ladies pendant hunting case movements that have been recased or they could have been sold as loose movements and cased at point of sale. Many of them have porcelain dials.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Uh Mike,
Funny you should post a pic of a Masonic WW, one of my favorites of WWs. Cool

John A,
Thanks for the information. A lot of variances. Eek

Here's where I'm coming from with my question.

I have two wristwatches, a Bulova 21J, on movement reads: USA Bulova Watch Co., inside back case cover reads Bulova 14K gold filled New York, and a Longines, on movement reads: Longines Watch Co. Swiss, 17 jewels, 8481832. Inside back of case reads: Longines-Wittnauer Watch co. Inc. New York Geneva Montreal 10 K gold filled, 8609033.

The movements in both watches are not a tight fit. If you touch the stem, you can feel the movement move. Also when I wear either watch, if my wrist touches the stem at some point, the watch stops. It seems the cases are original to the watches.

Any comments? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I know that A. Wittnauer imported various movements to the U.S. (including Longines) and cased them here. At least with pocket watches I have seen the Swiss ligne-size movements fitted to American cases by using a spacer-ring to fill the gap between the movement and the case. I believe I have seen these spacers on some wristwatches, as well, and perhaps when the watch was worked on at some time in the past the watchmaker forgot to put the spacer back in?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Jerry T.,

Thanks for your information. Spacer rings, that makes sense. I suppose there are various sizes to fit various size wristwatch movements. How hard would it be for me to find two? How would I determine size? It seems like it would be a simple task to install them, right? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Nemo,
Thanks Confused

Jerry T.
Back to spacer rings. Do they come in various sizes to fit various movements? Confused How hard would it be to find two? Confused How would I determine size I need? Confused Is it a simple task to install the spacer rings after I pop out the movement? Confused Seems like it.

Thanks. Will await your reply! Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Gee, sorry Stephanie Frown I occasionally see these in various junk piles at chapter marts, but I have no idea how many varieties there might be. If you have the right one, the installation should be easy, but I expect finding the right one might be difficult. Good luck.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Hey Jerry T.,

I don't have opportunities to view "junk piles". Big Grin Frown It sounds like fun. Maybe if I can get you accurate measurements you can pick up 2 spacer rings at your next junk pile visit. Roll Eyes Of course I'll reimburse you. Now, how can I take those accurate measurements of wristwatch case or movement? Confused Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Some watches are held in place with the crown. Hamilton, Bolova and Longines all made models that used this method. It would be helpfull to see a picture movement and case. Both are requiered to make certain.

Rich Kuhn

NAWCC Member 128623
IHC Member 155

rich_kuhn@email.msn.com

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Stephanie,
In regards to your Longines, it sounds like your movement might be missing it's pendant tube, or it has been damaged and shortened. Your serial# dates it early 50's and the tube set-up was used alot in this period.
It screwed to the side of the movement and protruded through the side of the case cut-out. This kept the movement from rotating inside and also engaged with a ring groove on the inside crown surface. The stem was thus protected and held firm in place by the engaged crown. An improper crown/stem replacement can also be a factor. Not engaging properly with the tube will prevent the stem from being pushed in totally to the winding position. As Rich suggested a few pics would help confirm.

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
posted
Rich,

Thanks for your information and your email. I'll keep in mind what you said. I'll post these watches here after I purchase my digital camera.

Ralph,

Thanks for your input also. Again, hopefully sometime soon, I'll be able to post pics.

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979