Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bulova Precision? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hello, I recently acquired a watch with Bulova Precision on the dial. The Movement is marked "Favre W. Co. Bulova W. Co. 3 adj. 15 Jewels Swiss" And the inside of the case is marked "American Standard Warranted 25 years 1001916" There is no customary Bulova age marking.

Can anyone help me put an age on this watch? Anything else you can tell me about it?

Thanks, Jim

Bulova precision

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Movement

Movement

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Back

Back

posted
Jim,

I have discussed this with a friend who is a Bulova expert, and he reports that he has seen one other Favre-Bulova signed wristwatch. The co-signed movement is very early for Bulova, as in 1923-1924. This is in their first year or two of wristwatch production.

The case is also from the period and is a correct Bulova marking (American Standard would remain their trademark for many years). The "Warranted 25 Year" marking also indicates pre-1924 production, as government regulations changed around then to require reporting of a karat value for gold-filled and gold plated cases.

It looks to be in excellent condition as well. Good find!

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Thanks Cary, That's exciting information since I'm wondering if I should sell it. On one hand, it would be a wonderful cornerstone for my collection since I seem to be settling on Bulova as my specialty. On the other hand, I sure could use more tools and selling it would provide cash for tools.

I guess I have something to sleep on tonight.

Thanks again. I appreciate the research you did.

Regards, Jim

posted
Jim,Is there a serial number on the movement too? I haven't had a Farve-Bulova yet but I have have several other jointly sign movements from the early years. I believe the lowest I have currently is around #12,000 or so.

I hold these early ones in high regard because Bulova kept their standards high. Much of their production seems to have been midling grade but I have never seen any below that. Some day ( I'm dreaming now) there will be a wise collector who will"shoot the moon" and establish a benchmark collection of Bulova and,further, will document the production and write books....

I'm looking forward to that.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Cort, No there is no serial number on the movement. I am guessing that no serial number would be another sign of early production.

I'll let the board know if/when/and where I will sell it. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Good luck on your dream.

Regards, Jim

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
I guess I can't just make a decision in abstract terms.

Can anyone give me an indication of the dollar value of this watch. Just a general range would be sufficient.

Thanks, Jim

posted
Jim and Cort.

Nice to see some fellow Bulova collectors. I have a 1924 10AA Bulova date stamped movement running strong (serial number 124019), the earliest I have seen.

I'm trying to start a Bulova Database of both vintage and new watches.

Please feel free to add your watches here and tell other Bulova watch owners that you come across to do the same. The more the better.

There is a severe lack of usefull information about early Bulova watches and I hope that my site can help fix that in the near future.

Calling all Bulova watch owners!

http://www.mybulova.com

Regards, Stephen.

Posts: 97 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: April 28, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jim,

You've found a really interesting early Bulova!

As to value it's probably not especially high but still very worthwhile. Those who follow the wristwatch market more carefully than I would know better.

It's great to have input about this unusual watch from Cary, Cort, and Stephen. I'm very pleased that Stephen is working on a Bulova Database. We can link it from all his posts and a few minutes ago I placed a link in our Chapter 185 Technical Library, Serial Numbers and Site Links to make it even more accessible.

Congratulations on a great find!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hi gentlemen, Thanks for all the information about this watch.

FWIW I just measured the movement and it is 21.9mm or 10/0s

Best regards, Jim

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Cort and Stephen, Where did you find the serial number? Is there any possibility that it would be under the dial? I'm a bit reluctant to dis-assemble it as I'm still in the novice class and don't want to cause it any undue distress Smile

Thanks, Jim

posted
Jim,
All the Bulovas I've seen that have a ser.# have it in plain view when looking at the back of the mov't. I think the ser.#s were used early on and indiscriminately.If others want to look at this, I'd be happy to post no's and observations.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Jim, I concur with Cort, Bulova's early model movements stamped with 'Bulova Watch Co.' usually had a serial number on the non-dial side either near the winding stem ratchet wheel or the main spring ratchet wheel. They are normally a 6 or 7 digit number.

http://www.mybulova.com

Posts: 97 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: April 28, 2007
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Looking at Bulova watches from the mid '20's in the Bulova ads that Stephen provided in another thread, and Bruce Shawkey's watch, I'm wondering why there is such a great "style" difference between those and my Bulova Precision.

I did some checking on the Bulova website and They state that Bulova wrist watches began being made in 1919. What is the probability that my watch was manufactured between 1919 and 1924?

I was searching Waltham wrist watches today and found a Waltham wristwatch from 1915/16 that is styled very similarly mine. They called it cushion style. Also a 1913 model.

Just wondering. I would appreciate comments.

Thanks, Jim