Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another early Bulova wristwatch "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert

posted
I have come across an early Bulova tank style watch. It has a green gold-filled case. The case is signed "Bulova Gold Filled American Standard." The movement is signed simply "Bulova" and the Caliber 9A is indicated. A serial number of 72,765 is also engraved on the movement plate. A small number 19 inside a box is also engraved on the movement. The back of the dial also bears an interest inscription, that of "AF". I'd like to add this watch to Stephen Ollman's database of bulovas (mybulova.com) but I would like to have a few opinions first as to its age. Images are attached.

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
Wristwatch Expert

posted
the inside case back:

Wristwatch Expert

posted
the movement:

posted
Bruce,
Doesn't that look a lot like the big rectangle Hampden of the era?

I too am pleased about Stephen's project. I perused my Bulova movement inventory for ones that might be interesting to share. I noted a W.G.F. Deco "American Standard" case in my pile. The lowest ser. # I've spotted so far 12,xxx but I think I have one in the 9,xxx range somewhere.

After reading that the U.S.A. made automatic I recently posted about was, perhaps, scarcer than I had thought, I tried to remove mine from the store where it was for sale. Too late! The 50- price-tag apparently caught some collector's eye. I know I have more mv'ts,and probably complete one's too.

I got a really nice Bulova yesterday that I'm pretty buzzed about. It was a cal. 89 alarm watch disgusting condition and missing the alarm button,had a bad crystal and was covered in grime....but the price was right. I have had a couple of these in the past and think they're of very high quality. The German mv'ts are much nicer than the other Bulova alarm (AERC? I think). I knew I had a nice CaL.89 at the shop that was needing several parts, and since this was only 35- etc... When I got this back to the shop I went to work on the case. While I was using a toothpick to remove old genetic debris I spotted the 14K mark. I've been proudly wearing this ressurected beauty all day and am happy as heck!

I will add pics here shortly and to Stephen's site for the record. Bulova deserves to have this attention. I wish I could have recorded some of the other finds I've had. I sold a Bul. "Doctor's" watch in Feb.in Pasadena which is the only one I've found. A few years ago I had an automatic Bulova Tonneau that was wound by wrist action on the hinged back! The current owner is a pal so I may attempt to retrieve a pic of that one.

I'm hoping to learn how to make the internet earn as much for me as is has taken away. My hope is that I can use it to learn and market some of the obscure rarities that are hard to sell in my local market. Smile
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Bruce, I'd be very greatful for any Bulova watches you could add to the http://www.mybulova.com website. This is exactly my belief behind it, that the more we can get the easier it will become to identify Bulova watches, expacially the vintage ones.

From what I can tell of this particular watch, it looks like a 1925 President. It looks to have a circle stamp near the center barrel bridge screw. It may be even earlier.

I found two ads that I have gather (low res only) that looks to show a similar watch and from what I can tell is the President. Later models (1927,28) has the sub-second hand.

1925 AD

Posts: 97 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: April 28, 2007
posted
1926 AD

posted
Try again.

1926 AD

posted
I was looking for a detent spring in my old Bulova box today but got sidetracked Roll Eyes
and searched instead for "my oldest Bulova". I thought I had some old ones but was surprised to find a caliber BAI ser. no. 375! It was uncased and undialed but running baguette mov't, AS865 17J 3 adj.(very respectable).

Ser. no 10616 has the 1924 datemark and 11930 has the 1926 datemark. I have to assume that everybody at Bulova took 1925 off or these symbols might not be hard and fast evidence of the date they were actually produced. Also, two that I believe are among my earliest, didn't have ser.nos. Some of these early one's have wonderful names on the dial like "Maxim" and "Rubaiyat'.

I have a couple of dozen with 5 digit numbers I could report details on if that becomes useful.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Cort, these kind of early Bulova watches would be of great value to the Bulova Database.

I'd be happy to add them if can send through any images and additional information.

Thanks!

posted
Stephen,
I emailed pics of the mov'ts I mentioned above. They weren't that good though so I will work on my technique and try again.

I looked amongst my lady's watches today and found a few more nice early ones including one in the 9xxx range. I also found a complete and running one in the 15xxx range with a nice enameled case.

Based on my slim libary of movements it seems that A)the lowest numbers(below 20,000) are primarily lady's watches,B) serial numbers ended before a half million C) the majority of the early mov'ts lack date marks. Obviously, there is a lot to learn yet. Have you contacted Bulova to see what they can offer as to history and data for their Co.?
-Cort

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Cort, I contacted Bulova a few weeks ago. The people I talked and E-mailed with claim they no longer have archives. I find it hard to believe. Perhaps they don't cater to the general public making research requests. Perhaps if we had an insider we could get the straight story or maybe we need to form a delegation from NAWCC and storm the gates. I'm sure the top executives would have access to archival materials.

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007
posted
Bruce,
I got my Bulletin today and commend you for the fine article on Bulova. You made a point that the Favre cosigned Bulova was scarce and an interesting window on Bulova's business in the early years. I can report that I have an uncased movement with dial that is also cosigned. My has the signature "A. Arnould & Fils" along with Bulova W. Co.. I checked Kathleen Pritchard's book and found that Arnould was from Chaux de Fonds and listed in 1923-1925.

I sent a pic to Stephan Ollman (not a real good one) but, I would be happy to provide details if you'd like and try to take a better pic. So far, I've recorded 24 watches and mov'ts with ser. nos. under 100,000. The Arnould, of course, has no number.Roll Eyes
-Cort

posted
Heres a pic of an old Bulova I have that is almost restored. There are issues with the hands and crown to resolve still. The movement is a 10AN and it has the triangle "date mark" though no ser. no.. The dial is silvered with etched and enamel filled numerals. It is in a pat. Bulova case with the celluloid dust cover over the back of the mov't. I haven't seen a pic of one exactly like it and I don't know if it was a Named model or not.
-Cort