Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball Trainmaster Wristwatches? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just acquired this watch in stainless steel, with the 12 hour dial. It is an automatic. Can I assume that it has a 25J ETA movement? The serial number on the case is 787610. I don't have the tool needed to take the back off.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
They did use the 25 jewel eta movement and most are excellent time keepers a friend of mine has carried one of these every day for many years.

Great watches Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Yes Jerry, I would agree with Samie that it should have the venerable 25-Jewel ETA which has been a watch industry workhorse for some forty years or more. Personally, I would take the back off only to service the watch.

These are tough, reliable movements with almost infinite parts availability. The only quirky thing I'm aware of is the hack-set can occasionally be problematic. As to Ball Trainmaster cases, Stainless-Steel, Yellow Gold-Filled and Rolled Gold-Plate are the ones I'm familiar with. They are personal favorites of mine and I really enjoy wearing them.

Let's share some pictures. Cool

Here's how your watch looked when new...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Your 12-Hour dial up-close and personal...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

The YGF 12-Hour and 24-Hour SS model...

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
One of those 'hind sight being 20/20' events in my life was back when Jarvis Jewelers, the Portsmouth, Ohio railroad watch inspectors for the N&W/C&O/B&O railroads in our area had Ball Trainmasters in their window all the time for sale....and I opted to hold out and purchase a Bulova Accutron when I could afford one.

I love the Accutron, but I STILL kick my backside for passing on one of the stainless versions of the Ball when I had the chance to lay one away way back when. I well remember that $85 price tag too. Roll Eyes

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Lindell: I can see now that my watch has the wrong hour hand! Are the hands available anywhere?

IHC President
Life Member
posted

I'm sure someone will come up with them for you.

Wink

Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Beautiful! I especially like the stainless case models.

A Trainmaster is on my short list of "must haves." Smile

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
I really like these Ball Trainmaster automatic wind wristwatches myself, I have one in a yellow gold filled case with the 24-hour dial that appears to be hand-painted as opposed to the silkscreen ones. It also has dual TimeZone hands.

Larry Buchan

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
OK, here it is. Now I have to sit back and wait to see what else is wrong with the watch!

Picture of Donald E. Jones
posted
I am fortunate to own both a gold and stainless Trainmaster.

Both of mine have 24 hr. dials. I bought the stainless one new, in about 1980 from the Cotton Belt watch inspector at Commerce, Texas. While I don't remember the cost, I did trade in an Accutron Quartz railroad approved watch. When I bought it, he just handed it to me over the counter, I paid him, put it on and walked out. I don't know if it had a box, at the time, that never crossed my mind. I sure was proud of it! Some years later, I bought the gold one, used, from the same man --- it was his loaner watch. Years ago, I swapped movements between the cases, because the stainless one had a better looking dial, and I liked the gold case better. They are both still fine watches.

Does anyone know when was this type watch last manufactured? When I hired out on the railroad in 1979, most people were, by then, using Seiko railroad approved watches, with many still using the Bulova Accutron, a few using Balls, and one or two eccentric individuals still using pocket watches.

My question again, when were Ball Trainmaster watches last made?

D. E. Jones

Posts: 73 | Location: Sulphur Springs, Texas USA | Registered: June 29, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Looks like Jerry needs both the hour and the sweep-second hand.

Wow, those are great insights, and a really good question Don. Smile

I don't recall seeing date codes on any of these but there may be.

I am aware of advertising from the early 1970s and we know they were still approved to enter time service in 1976 as you'll see in the December 21, 1976 updated Ball Railroad Time Service letter attached below this message. Looking over that list we find some old friends and even a surprise or two. However, exactly when the Ball Trainmasters were last manufactured is a mystery to me, I too would like to know the answer to your question. My bet is they were fading out about the end of the 1970s with the advent of less expensive to maintain quartz watches which were then and now preferred by most users.

But to me these Ball Trainmasters will always be the genuine article. Wink

List of approved watches for late 1976 time service...

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hay Dave:

I Hired on the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1973, and bought it used Hamilton 992 for $50 which was passed for watch inspection, I'm far from being eccentric, I had a skin allergy and couldn't wear any kind of jewelry rings, chains, and wristwatches. I really enjoyed wearing the Hamilton with my overalls, and it started my interests in collecting pocket watches.

Larry Buchan

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Donald E. Jones
posted
Larry,

I will admit to being slightly eccentric! I have been carrying a pocket watch on the job for about 10 years now, and also wear bib overalls to have a convenient place to carry ( and show off )my watch. I have been working at Longview ,Texas since January, on what we call the " short pool ", which works from Longview to Dallas and back. Longview is a medium sized terminal with quite a few people working in and out of there, and I have seen no one else there carrying a pocket Watch. Dang! I am eccentric!

D. E. Jones

Posts: 73 | Location: Sulphur Springs, Texas USA | Registered: June 29, 2006
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
I take trips on my motorcycle starting about this time of year. While on these trips I wear a durable and water resistant Casio. All other times I carry one of my pocket watches. I would like to wear a durable and water resistant railroad approved wristwatch while on these trips. The two watches I'm considering are the Ball Trainmaster and the Elgin B W Raymond. Are these two fairly water resistant?

Opinions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Bob, it might just be me, but personally I suggest you stick with the Casio on your motorcycle jaunts. I think the last thing I'd want to be wearing woule be my Ball or BWR if I ever laid my bike over. Casio's are everywhere and easily replaceable....Ball wristies and BWR's aren't.

If you're wanting railroad approved, water and shock resistant, consider one of the Citizen Quartz wristies! I have one and it's a GREAT looking railroad watch, and readily available!

JMO, though. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Mark,

At my age, my watch would be the least of my worries if I dumped the bike. lol I just enjoy carrying or wearing a mechanical watch. I have an old Elgin self winding wristwatch that is water and shock resistant. It is of the same era as the American made B W Raymonds-1961. I thought that mabe their railroad wristwatch would be at least as durable as my old dress watch.

Regards,

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
You gave me a good chuckle there, Bob! Big GrinReminds me of what I tell the wife and kids when reading how many 'atmospheres' a watch has listed on it's dial if used under water. I tell them the LAST thing I'm going to care about if I find myself that far underwater is whether or not my watch is running! Eek

I'd say the BWR would be just as reliable as your old self winder, but still, they're a lot rarer than the dress watch.

Regards! Mark

IHC Member 638
posted
I met an elderly gentleman today who was wearing a Ball Trainmaster 25j automatic. Naturally my first question was...did you work on the railroad. He responded... Why yes, I was an engineer on the B&O.

I had to restrain myself a little from being totally obsessed with his watch but I did manage to get in a few more questions about the watches he wore as an engineer without seeming like a NUT job. I asked if he wore a pocket watch and he responded...certainly, but I gave it to my nephew as soon as the railroad approved the use of wristwatches in 1965. He said it was a 23j Waltham but wasn't certain which one.

I asked what other wrist watches he wore and he said he has a Bulova Accutron sitting in a drawer at home and a Hamilton Electric which the jeweler said can't be repaired anymore so its sitting with the Accutron. He said he likes the look of the Hamilton best but it wasn't a great time piece.

If he only knew what some of those watches mean to
collectors. It was a great few minutes with an old B&O engineer! Smile

Mike

Posts: 166 | Location: Northeastern Ohio USA | Registered: July 21, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Wow!

High regards! Mark

posted
A friend opened up the Ball Trainmaster for me and called to say that the movenment is ETA caliber 2620. I have not heard from anyone regarding hands for this watch. Any suggestions would be appreciated!