Reply to Post

Self Winding Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Terry, Short answer...there is a click.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
quote:
Chris Abell - "Of course speaking of auto’s there are some that have different arrangements, one I had was a bumper based and had a over engineered system that as it wound a locking hook advanced to eventually catch the bumper and stop it from over winding the fixed mainspring, released again as it ran down, also drove a wind indicator from the same it had been messed with many times in the past things filed bent etc and no parts so to far gone by the time I got it, there are of course always variations to be found to the most common I mention above."

The watch Mr. Abell is referring to is the Jaeger-LeCoultre Futurematic, which was introduced in 1951. Here is a website with a lot more information on this watch:

Jaeger-LeCoultre Futurematic

Here is one of my examples. It's a really nice watch. I'd wear it more often, but I'm afraid that if it breaks, parts are almost impossible to find.

Enjoy,
gatorcpa

Posts: 19 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: September 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Evan,

Yes that was it, know it well and the cause of a few sleepless nights plus many hours calling round for parts that do not exsisit.. Smile Big Grin Smile
if you ever see a parts watch buy it! yours looks a superb example.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thanks Roger

I know there is a click but am still unsure as to how you would let down an auto where the winder doesn't 'click' when wound back (counter clockwise). If you released the click spring wound the the MS release uncontrolled Eek

TJP

Posts: 83 | Location: Sleepy Sussex, United Kingdom | Registered: February 14, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Terry...I did it just like I do other watches. I turned the stem in the winding direction to unload the click and while holding the stem pushed the click out of engagement and held it there while letting the stem slip thru my fingers in a controlled let down.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Ah de cours, it engages on the wind!!!

Thanks for bearing with me Roger, sometimes it takes a while to sink in, but once it does it there!! Roll Eyes

TJP

Posts: 83 | Location: Sleepy Sussex, United Kingdom | Registered: February 14, 2008