Tools
Reply to Post

Whats this Chrongraph "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Brevet? Bovel what is it anything good?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I took a couple of quick pictures as you can tell before I left, will try and get a better picture of this great looking movement.
Cant find any inforamtion on it.

posted
It is either a Valjoux 71 or Valjoux 84.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Julian,

WW are new to me from what I have found out this is a high quality watch 1950?. I have been told this is somewhat a standard movement used by many manufacturers, this one being a Bovet. I thin once this watch is repaired and even redialed would be quite a item.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
quote:
Valjoux 71 or Valjoux 84

I have been looking though what information I can find and havnt found my exact movement yet, mine is stamped either 16 or 18 jewels, and seems to be more complex than most I see, is this a early movement, any idea of age, I did see the same case on ebay with a close serial number also that was for a model 23?

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Well I finally got round to working on this watch after finding out a lot more about it thought you might like to see it completed.
It is as Julian said above a Valjoux 84 but not only that a Rare Vintage (1940) Bovet Freres Mono-Rattrapante Chronograph. Scarce 18 Jewel (Yes, 18 Jewels) Valjoux 84 movement uses the bovet mono-Rrattrapante design to allowing you to pause the chronograph and take a reading and to continue to record the event by holding the lower push, once released the hand jumps forward to continue showing the actual sweep time the upper push does the start, stop & reset. It is in the original SS case and now running superbly.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
The problem is with these cases is the loose fitting pushers that let dirt water etc.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
p2

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
p3

posted
Chris,
Wow, that's a beauty. Congratulations on a fine job. You said the case is "SS" -- do you mean Sterling Silver or Stainless Steel?
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Peter,

Case is stainless steel

posted
Beautiful & unusual watch Chris, I'd be taking Lots of photo's of every step whilst taking that one down for cleaning! Big Grin

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi John,

Those are fun to do, I keep all the chrono section completely separate even clean in a separate clean cycle from the main watch, and as you say a good few photo's as I get down to the parts hidden below. My biggest fear is of course losing a part or even a screw.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Cooksey Shugart
posted
quote:
Brevet?

Chris, good job. Also "Brevet" with swiss cross = (patented).
Cooksey

Posts: 62 | Location: Cleveland, Tennessee USA | Registered: November 27, 2002