Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Color Is Time "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Thanks Stephen!

Tom Sey.,
You have some interesting futuristic possibilities! Glad you enjoyed the way cool Tian Harlan wristwatches!

Still on a mission for that booklet I mentioned above. Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

GRRRRRReat TOPIC!!!

Another home-run outta da park.

Timekeepers continue to evolve and with every generation new approaches continue to surface.

Keep the wonderful topics coming Stephanie!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Stephanie,

Fascinating watches. I love the idea of not having exact time. Here I thoought I was late to all those classes...

Did Harlan consult with physicists, or read physics, or how did he come up with his color scheme? I noticed that there were some changes in the color schemes. The first watch shows bright yellow at the top, where was other watches have a yellow-green, with no pure yellow. Sometime fairly recently didn't the standard "color chart" change from one with "yellow-blue-red" to one with "cyan, green, red"?

I love the idea, but was he serious? or just creating a self-conscious "statement " watch--commenting on our conceptions of time, but aiming only to make us thing (and enjoy his watch), but not really making serious watches?

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
posted
Hi Jessica,
Not sure who, if anyone, Tian consulted with in his invention of the color wheel and his watches. His color wheel shows yellow at the 12 position. All of the Tian watches in my collection show the same color in each segment or hour cone. The green background I used for my first pic may have thrown color off a tad, hence the cyan color.

A quick google search did not reveal a recent change of color chart. Roll Eyes

I think Tian Harlan was quite serious when he made these watches. Here's a few quotes from the guy.
...opens possibilities for our freedem and leisure. It requires from the user a new sensitivity, a conscious of the self and of time. He ended what he calls "the dictatorship of the exact time by his invention of the anti-stress Colour-Time watch. "Stress and hectic activity leads us to wrong decisions and senseless urgency".

Who knows, who really cares where this guy is coming from. I think the watches are really cool and in my eyes are a highlight to my wristwatch collection! By no means are these watches for the punctual; maybe the retired. Big Grin

I've added yet another Tian watch to my collection. Roll Eyes Will show when I get a chance.

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
I would love to know whatever happened to Tian Harlan, i.e., what's he doing or inventing these days, if living etc. etc. I located an address for Tian Harlan but it may be old. Anyone know how I can reach Mr. Harlan or locate his whereabouts? His full name is Kristian Harlan.

I have added another Tian Harlan wristwatch to my collection. It's similar to one already in my collection in that case is silvertone rather than goldtone with original signed Tian Harlan watchband. Roll Eyes You know I had to have it! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Right?

posted
Tian Harlan silvertone oval watch

Stephanie O'Neil

Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Hi, Stephanie,

I copied this from the web, because it had to be translated, and I wasn't sure if your program did that. If you can, it's more readable on the web. This is the url

http://www.archen.net/tianharlan.htm

Unfortunately, it's mostly concerned with exhibitions, public life, etc. But the Chronachron seems to have been only a small part of his output, much of it related to architecture--and community. I saw something about his working with Pierre Cardin--(in German)--on some of the google pages, so you might try those.

In fact, most of what's about his seems to be in German.

The watches are beautiful--and probably not that numerous. I saw some for sale at 175GBP, which is probably more than $300.

Good luck,
Jessica

There's a photo of Tian Harlan, in which he looks significantly older than in your photo.

Tian Harlan

Born 1939 in Berlin. Architect, designer, artist and inventor of the color time clock Chromachron .

The occupation with visible making of time led to the topic mobilization of area and for the development of the ark project .

1962 To architecture study to DO Berlin
1969 Thesis (diploma) with Professor Ungers, Thema: Tenant self organization (MSO)
1970 DAAD scholarship in Rome, topic social architecture . Afterwards establishment of the planning group Metaplan in Munich.
1971 Retreat auf's country: Development of the ChromachronSystems : Time in color
1972 Inauguration of the color time column on the Olympia area in Munich
1973 Development of the color time circle , drafts of the ChromachronUhren , patent application
1975 Expedition with Heinrich Harrer after Ladakh
1976 Stay in the USA and publication of the Story OF Color time ; Exhibition in the Electrum Gallery, London
1977 Pictures, calendar objects and time harps
1978 However exhibition in Berlin, house at the Luetzowplatz, sichtbarmachung of time , publication of a time share ; Exhibition participation: Racine, Paris
1979 Action the time oasis Baden-Baden, removal in Switzerland and structure of the Rauchlehofes in Laupersdorf

1980 Establishment of the company Chromachron AG advancement of the color clocks and Design of the Pierre Cardin clocks
1987 Birth of the son Simon
1988 Sales action: The clock book the color time
1990 Exhibition dia. MXM in the gallery Pommersfelde, Berlin
1991 Development of the new medium: The time lantern
1992 First drafts to a mobile architecture
1993 Establishment of the cooperative: Academy of the arks , Switzerland
1995 Development of the ark project . Co-operation with architect's office Saltzmann, cathedral
1997 Building of the MicroArchen of object with William Michels, Cologne, co-operation with culture concepts parish and Elmar anger, Munich
1998 Exhibition in the building house the ark project co-operation with Herman Prigann TerraNova
2000 EXPO 2000 in Hanover
Rand rechts

Rand unten

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Stephanie,

This is another thought:

This is a seller on Ebay in Germany who has a Tian Harlan watch and a booklet (I think, I couldn't read most of it and I don't know if it's what you were looking for) for sale. I emailed him/her about the booklet, so I don't know if I"ll hear back. (They may die out of amusement at my German...) But if you're interested in the watch, or just asking about it, here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4928665816&fromMakeTrack=true

Or you could try German ebay.

Jessica

posted
Jessica,
Thanks for the additional info. When I went to the link you provided (www.archen.net etc. etc.)
says "The page cannot be found. I then entered the address manually and it is in german. Cannot translate. Can you help?

Stephanie O'Neil

Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
English description

Producer

ChromAChron AG, Switzerland

Regular Preis 248 EUR

Founded by

Tian Harlan

Pierre Cardin

Model

The colour-time-watch.

A colour-time-circle shows the time.

Edition Tian Harlan

Swiss Patent No.613 587

Including ChromAChron-Book in four languages.

The time-philosophy of the colour-circle on 26 pages.

Case

Bottom

Calibre

Glass

Dimension

Density

Face

Watch band

Stainless SILVER

Refined steel

Swiss ISA quartz clock-work

Sapphire

Æ 32 mm; hight 6 mm

20 m

Black on colour-circle

Genuine leather

Specialities

Can be worn by ladies and gents

Collector’s item

2 years guarantee

Packing

The ChromAChron-Book serves as a case at the same time.

Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Oops--

That was the information on the German seller's site. I'll get the English translation, if it's still there.

Jessica

Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
The information on Archen. net was what I posted above, with the dates and exhibitions. I mostly wanted you to see the photo of Tian Harlan. I don't know why it wasn't copied with the rest of the file.

Jessica

This is it again, but still no photo.
Tian Harlan

Born 1939 in Berlin. Architect, designer, artist and inventor of the color time clock Chromachron .

The occupation with visible making of time led to the topic mobilization of area and for the development of the ark project .

1962 To architecture study to DO Berlin
1969 Thesis (diploma) with Professor Ungers, Thema: Tenant self organization (MSO)
1970 DAAD scholarship in Rome, topic social architecture . Afterwards establishment of the planning group Metaplan in Munich.
1971 Retreat auf's country: Development of the ChromachronSystems : Time in color
1972 Inauguration of the color time column on the Olympia area in Munich
1973 Development of the color time circle , drafts of the ChromachronUhren , patent application
1975 Expedition with Heinrich Harrer after Ladakh
1976 Stay in the USA and publication of the Story OF Color time ; Exhibition in the Electrum Gallery, London
1977 Pictures, calendar objects and time harps
1978 However exhibition in Berlin, house at the Luetzowplatz, sichtbarmachung of time , publication of a time share ; Exhibition participation: Racine, Paris
1979 Action the time oasis Baden-Baden, removal in Switzerland and structure of the Rauchlehofes in Laupersdorf

1980 Establishment of the company Chromachron AG advancement of the color clocks and Design of the Pierre Cardin clocks
1987 Birth of the son Simon
1988 Sales action: The clock book the color time
1990 Exhibition dia. MXM in the gallery Pommersfelde, Berlin
1991 Development of the new medium: The time lantern
1992 First drafts to a mobile architecture
1993 Establishment of the cooperative: Academy of the arks , Switzerland
1995 Development of the ark project . Co-operation with architect's office Saltzmann, cathedral
1997 Building of the MicroArchen of object with William Michels, Cologne, co-operation with culture concepts parish and Elmar anger, Munich
1998 Exhibition in the building house the ark project co-operation with Herman Prigann TerraNova
2000 EXPO 2000 in Hanover

/////////////
Yhis is a small comment with the watch above it, but it shows that at one time (or possibly now) Tian Harlan worked with Pierre Cardin to create a watch-making firm.

In 1971, Swiss artist and architect Tian Harlan elaborates his Color-Time-Circle. He creates many objects and art projects based on this idea, among them a color-time plastic for the Olympic games in 1972 at Munich and a color-time-tower as high as 21 m. In the 80ties he started cooperation with Pierre Cardin on watch design and founded the CHROMACHRON AG in Switzerland to produce timepieces with a yet unknown time indication and philosophy.

Stainless steel case ø 32 mm, H 6 mm, Dial with color circle and moving black disc, Swiss ISA-Quartz movement, Mineral crystal, WR 20m, Leather strap.

membres.lycos.fr/jjcasalo/odd_watches/chromatron.htm

Got to go--Today, a few English things popped up on google.

Jessica

posted
Jessica,
Is this the picture of Tian you are speaking of?

Thanks again for re-typing all of that info!

Stephanie O'Neil

IHC Life Member
Picture of Claude Girardin
posted
Dear Stefanie: looking at your Colours in Time, I just remembered that in those days I had a memorable meeting with Tian Harlan in his then newly established company (joint venture with Pierre Cardin), located in a beautiful farmhouse at the foot of the first Jura Mountain range, as I was looking for a new job opportunity. Actually, he gave me one of those books. I do not know whether it is still around, but I shall try and find it or another one here in Switzerland. No promise, just a try to help a friend not having to loose her right arm.

Meanwhile, please consult the Tian Harlan's lifeline I found on the net, in German: http://www.archen.net/tianharlan.html.

I assume you can manage to read it. Any help needed, just ask.

Posts: 168 | Location: Nidau-Biel/Bienne, Switzerland | Registered: July 06, 2004
posted
Claude,
I would love to hear more regarding "your memorable meeting with Tian Harlan. Send me an email. Lindell will give you my email address if you don't already have it. And wow, I would love to have the book Tian gave to you, particularly since he personally gave it to you. That would really be great Claude. Let me know if you locate it or one like it. Smile
I even get to keep my right arm. Big Grin Thanks again!!

Stephanie O'Neil

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Stephanie,

I’m impressed with your watches and by Mr. Harlan’s ideas regarding time and color. These ideas and timepieces are quite new to me. There are several accomplished artists in my family who will find these watches and concepts extremely interesting. Thank you for sharing your collection and research.

Best regards,

Greg Crockett

Posts: 1960 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Sorry Stephanie,
My wife and I have searched our whole archives and cannot find the book: it must have disappeared during one of our altogether 12 moving to another place since.

Malraux, the French Writer and Stateman said: The Third Millenium shall be Spiritual, or shall not Last!

Therefore, I shall keep it in mind and try and find another copy somewhere, as well as today's whereabout of Tian Harlan, as I feel that he could become the 21st Century Time Herald, as we badly need colours and new hopes in our lives.

How about some new topic on the combination of philosophy and watch design?

Take care!
Claude

Posts: 168 | Location: Nidau-Biel/Bienne, Switzerland | Registered: July 06, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Harlan Tower Clock: please check:

http://www.geocities.com/kbetts76013/harlan.html

quite an interesting Oeuvre by Harlan.

IHC Life Member
posted
Stephanie:
http://myworld.ebay.com/vitamixman/

You could check with this above EBay seller, who states that he is the former Exclusive U.S. Distributor for Chromachron Watches.

The ORIGINAL "The Story of Color Time" book was published in 1976.

It is a fully COLOR Ilustrated 36 page book with a purpose. The purpose of this book is to tell you what Color Time, or ChromaChron*, means to Tian Harlan, what it has meant to thousands of people all over the world, and what it can mean to you.

This book is about the birth of Color Time and how it evolved.

*CHROMA = COLOR + CHRONOS = TIME

http://item.express.ebay.com/Jewelry-Watches__Wristwatc...611QQcmdZExpressItem

Good luck!

posted
Thank you Claude for the research on the booklet. Someone sent me a copy of this booklet sometime back, mystery person, who I may thank now. Trouble is, I just searched for the book at my house and I cannot find it. Frown

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Okay, I found it, did a lot of searching and found it. That would have disturbed me until I found it. Again, mystery person if you are reading, thanks so much!

Wondering where and what Tian Harlan is doing these days? Claude?

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Call me old fashioned, but I think Mr. Harlan had far too much color on his hands! I also think he might have enjoyed plenty of mushrooms without any pizza.... Smile

Actually, these color-swatch watches are fun and fascinating!! Thank you for sharing.

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005