Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Automatic stopping early in the morning "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1063
posted
I've got a 70's Zodiac Sea Wolf recently serviced and very good timekeeper. The problem is it will usually stop between 5 - 7:00 AM. Why would this happen?

Thanks,
Dana

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Dana,

Is it stopping twice a dayor after being sat overnight and 5-7am?
It the watch in use during the day? I am thinking its stopping after 6 hrs or so without motion, and the mainspring not braking correctly would be my first guess.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1063
posted
Hello Chris-

I'll wear the watch all week and it will stop only in that early morning range. I don't take it off when I go to bed and since I'm a restless sleeper I figured all the thrashing around would keep it going.

Dana

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Dana,

Give the watch a full wind and leave it sat make a note of the start time and when it stops, work out the duration of runtime from full wind is the next step.I am thinking broken mainspring or incorrectly serviced auto wind mech

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1063
posted
Thanks, Chris. I'll try that tonight.

Dana