Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Information on Vulcan alarm wrist watches "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
I'm interested in finding an alarm wristwatch. The brand in the ebay ad below is of a brand that I notice quite a bit in this category. I've never heard of the brand, and wonder if anyone can clue me in on the things to look for, or any reference material, so I can ask relevant questions or have a basis for evaluating.

thanks, Jessica

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31387&item=4980135394&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jessica,

The Vulcan "Cricket" is so named because of the sound it makes when the alarm goes off. Great watches, nicely styled and very innovative. They were ahead of the market in style and substance.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Jessica, Enclosed is a pic of my LeCoultre Wrist Alarm--just to give you a look at another brand. Mine was one of my "scores". About three years ago, I found it at a local antique store in a junk box marked "anything in this box for a dime". It was in the bottom all covered with dirt. It is in excellent running order. All it needed was a new crystal and a new strap. Had both in my stock. Grand total investment--10 cents.

posted
Jessica,
Here's a picture of a very nice 2 Tone LeCoultre Memovox alarm that I own.
This one has the high beat movement and dates from the mid 70's.

NOTE:- The Vulcain Cricket is one of the most famous and highly sought alarm watches. They are very collectible and reasonably priced, approx. $200.00/$300.00 for a fairly nice one. Normally they go a lot lower than the LeCoultre Memovox or Wrist Alarms which are going out of sight. I saw one a similar to mine (mine's in better condition) which was up for sale a few weeks ago and it went for over $900.00

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
I like the crikets. I have had a number over the years and they seem to be one of the more reliable alarm watches. I also like the LeCoultre however parts for them are getting verry, verry hard to find.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
I've noticed that $200-300 price range for the crickets. Very nice watches, and reasonable, especially considering the alarm.

The LeCoultre you got, Tom, must be one of the deals of the decade, if you think in terms of percentages. (Of course, starting at 10cents is an advantage there--but still.) Very nice.

Do the Vulcains have different movements? and if so, were they made by the company, or by an ebauche maker? I notice that someone is starting it up again, modestly (from some points of view).

The history of wristwatches seems harder to come by. I'll have to partake more of this interesting section.

Jessica Cool

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I only have one alarm watch. You'll see it's a Russian made "Poljot" mechanical 18-Jewel that runs really well. Whenever I wear it a lot of people want to ask about it and want to look it over closely. Seems to me it was $25.00 brand new a couple years ago. I call that great value but not quite as good Smile as Tom's!

Russian made Poljot 18-Jewel alarm watch is great looking...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
I love that curvy alarm hand--altogether a very tough watch. Poljots turn up frequently on ebay, and look rather tempting. Good to know you have one Lindell--so I might go ahead.

Just for the moment, while I contemplate the scene. The vulcains also have great appeal--although crickets, while very persistent and somewhat strident, have this white-noise-like sound--not alarming (not waking you up, anyway).

Jessica