WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Presentation Wrist Watches: Those were the days... "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
There was a time in the not too distant past that a dedicated employee would receive a gold wrist watch at the time of their retirement. I have seen a number of Gruen and Hamilton wrist watches used for this purpose. Hamilton actually had a dedicated sales division, "Awards and Incentives" which was responsible for growing this aspect of the business.

Recently I found two very fine examples by Hamilton. This first one is a Hamilton Brock model. This 14K classic tank watch was a very popular watch for awards. This is a particularly desirable example, as it is a "Packard Brock", and sports the slogan "Ask the Man Who Owns One" and a radiator grill on the dial, and a stylish engraving on the back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2662837681

This next example is also the Hamilton Brock. It too has a very fine engraving, and I suspect it was a very important award for the owner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2662776832

The Pictures that follow is one from my own collection. It is an example of a rather rare Hamilton Brooke, an early Hamilton asymmetric wrist watch, with a "right angle" style, the case thicker at the 12:00, as compared to the 6:00. It was an award watch for an employee of the Griswold Company, makers of those fantastic heavy cast iron frying pans.

Does anyone have examples of award watches to share?

Hamilton Brooke

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Brooke Engraving

Brooke

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Bill,
I want to take this opportunity to welcome you as the wristwatch moderator.
In the course of my work I see a lot of Presentation watches.
Omegas were a popular retirement watch. I have two or three stainless steel Omegas that have the US Steel logo applied to the dial. I find this ironic since I am sure Omega did not buy stainless steel from US Steel.
I am going to post some pictures of an Omega presented for 25 years of service for GMC. The watch is a Seamaster De Ville with a 14K bezel and a stainless steel back
I have a passion for wristwatches and I wish you great success as moderator.

Rich Kuhn

NAWCC 128623
IHC Member 155

eMail: rich@watchmakerfinds.com

Web-Site: http://watchmakerfinds.com

eBay Auctions: watchmakerfinds eBay Auctions

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Picture 2

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Picture 3

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Picture 4

Rich Kuhn

NAWCC 128623
IHC Member 155

eMail: rich@watchmakerfinds.com

Web-Site: http://watchmakerfinds.com

eBay Auctions: watchmakerfinds eBay Auctions

posted
Here's another Brock, presented by Standard Brands for 25 years service in 1950. The case is not marked on the outside as to gold content as most Hamiltons I have seen are. The 14K mark is on the inside of the back along with the model name, etc.

Hamilton Brock

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Got the file names mixed up, here's the front. 19J 982M movement

Brock

posted
Union Carbide Corporation was the prime contractor for the US government's operations here in Oak Ridge, TN. They ran the facilities for AEC/ERDA/DOE from the mid-1940's until 1984 when a new contractor was chosen. Carbide gave a service award at 25 years and the employee had a choice of a real Atmos clock or a nice watch. When the new contractor came in 1984 the service awards were changed to 5 year periods. After merging with Lockheed the quality of the awards decreased and cheapened. When I reached 30 years of service I wanted a decent award so I took a NOS Hamilton Austin to a local shop and had it engraved. Here are a couple pictures of my watch.

Hamilton Austin

posted
Here's the dial side. 17J 980 movement

Austin