• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

battery replacing "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can I get help in, How do I open a case of a Gucci wristwatch model 2700 L. I'd like to change the battery in my Moms wristwatch,Thank You Rick

Americo Rizzuti

Posts: 46 | Location: Connecticut in the USA | Registered: January 09, 2010
posted
Here are photos of the watch
In case needed
Thanks

Americo Rizzuti

posted
ONE MORE PHOTO
SORRY OUT OF FOCUS
RICK

Americo Rizzuti

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Rick,

My first guess was the watch would most likely have a "snap-back" which is typical on small wristwatches and now I am more certain from your pictures. Looking very closely, the back is not perfectly centered, which also helps in the determination. Placing a blade just inside one of the lugs should allow you to "rock" the blade in order to "pop" the back, look very closely to see if one permits easier access than the other.

It is also possible the back was removed by placing a blade along the side opposite the crown. Examine the case closely for any signs of where a blade has been inserted previously.

The back should release fairly easily, just be careful. Once the back is off you should be able to see the battery number. There are interchangeable numbers, if you post the one you see on the battery we should be able to help with what might be the most readily available. You will likely see one or more screws holding the battery in place. If you are not familiar with this operation draw a diagram of how it goes together. Doing so will make re-assembly far easier because it may be a day or so later when you re-assemble.

You will probably find there is a fine gasket around the edge of the case-back. That helps with water-resistance and it is very important to have it properly in position before you snap the back into place after battery replacement. Do this slowly and carefully. Carpenters say... "Measure twice, cut once" ...which is always good advice no matter what you are doing, especially in complicated matters.

Let us know how this goes for you.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hello Lindell
I got it opened and the battery has on it a
v364-varta- made in germany

Americo Rizzuti

posted
Can I have the replcement battery, I can use for this wristwatch
and if this has water damage as my Mom was told.
What are the signs to look for ?
Thank You
Rick

Americo Rizzuti

posted
Rick,
The replacement battery sizes would be a v364 as was in the watch originally or, any of these. D364, SR621SW, SP364, 364. You should be able to pick one up at Radio Shack, Target, Wal-Mart.
As far as the water damage goes, I would look first in the movement area where the battery is located, Rust is a very bad sign, and an indication of water damage. Also the dial area might show signs of water damage / rust spots. Also, gently pull out the crown (the setting knob on the side of the case) until it “clicks” and see if the hands turn easily. If the hands wont turn, it may also indicate that the movement is rusty and frozen.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Ray, you explained it perfectly.

More about moisture intrusion, this watch was really not designed to be immersed in water, it could withstand splashing such as in washing hands or household chores but wearing it while swimming or even bathing could pose a problem. Just as Ray pointed out look for any signs of brown rust or a whitish corrosion on the inside.

These quartz movements are tough Rick, and if it passes the tests Ray suggested you might get lucky just replacing the energy cell, all you are risking is a dollar or two and you might make Mom happy Smile which is always a good thing. If it does not run all is not lost, the movement can be easily replaced at reasonable price.

Let us know how it turns out!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Beside replacing the complete movement. You might want to have this one repaired. Only if the movement is marked Gucci. I am often asked if my Gucci, Movado, Selko, etc real. My reply is: Only if it is marked gucci, etc. When having the movement complete replace it would not be with a gucci name. If she had paid $$$$$ high dollar for a real Gucci. It might be worth the investment to keep it real.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Hello Guys I wasn't successful in getting the watch to work. I replaced the battery and checked for water damage, and found none. The watch still did not work despite the change in battery. How can I go about changing the movement and where can I get one. I'm attaching another photo for reference. I appreciate your support in advance.

Thanks,
Rick

Americo Rizzuti

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Rick,

Your movement is now obsolete, a interchange would be Ron 751E you will then need to adjust the stem/new crown for the movement and maybe the hands will need fitting also. If the watch is important and no interchange it is possible to disassemble the movement and clean the train section as you would with a normal watch and (maybe not in your case) replace the circuit, given the cost of most modern quartz movements a replacement is the way ahead. For the last of the days work today I replaced four they are relatively quick and easy to do for the most part.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
To Chris How much would you charge to fix this for me ? And Thank You
Rick

Americo Rizzuti

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Rick,

Will Email you

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003