Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1943 Rolex Oyster "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This is a Rolex Oyster that is in my father's estate. It was given to him on his 21st birthday in 1943. Have not opened the back, as it is in my sister's possession right now. Can anyone provide some guidance on what it might be? Thanks.

Posts: 57 | Location: Brentwood, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 24, 2015
posted
Here is the back.

Posts: 57 | Location: Brentwood, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 24, 2015
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
looks like ref#2280 but with out looking on the movement Im not 100% sure
have it serviced asap to ensure proper functions for future use

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Thanks Peter. It does look like the 2280. Definitely will get it in for servicing and maybe find out some more after it's opened up.

posted
Interesting conversation with Bob Ridley today about this watch. He thinks it's a 4647. I'm sending it to him for repair, so we'll know for sure soon.

posted
keep us posted.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I was thinking 3139!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
with out the movement picture all we can do is guess hehe lets see whos correct

posted
Right Peter! Smile

posted
In case you were wondering, Bob identified it as a 3139, Gents Steel Military Rolex.

posted
great news.

posted
Yeah, I hope so Peter. It's going to be quite expensive to fix it, but definitely worth it as a piece of family history. Not sure it will be worth what it costs to fix, but oh well.

posted
what need to be done send me email I have
CMW21 – Certified Master Watchmaker of the 21st Century as a friend in town he got my rolex fix half the price of other places like NY rolex center.

posted
Thanks Peter. I decided to use Bob Ridley at Watchmakers Int'l. Just checking around, he seems to have a stellar reputation. Not cheap, but this particular watch is worth it to me.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Dave Turner knows his stuff! Show after photos when it comes back. (please)

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
Getting my restored Rolex back from Bob Ridley tomorrow, and he was nice enough to send along some photos. Looks pretty nice, I think.

posted
More pictures following

posted
and more

posted
One more

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Yea, I think so too. Looking fine!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Nice . Enjoy your watch Douglas

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Wow! Inspires me to pull out my Dad's restored 1943 Lipton Oyster (made by Rolex) to wear!

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002