Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Webb C. Ball wristwatch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Can anyone place a date of manufacture on this Swiss movement Webb C. Ball wristwatch I bought off of Barry Hanstein on our auction site? I got it cleaned and it is now running and I was going to give it as a gift to my lady friend and wanted to assure her it was older than her.

Steve

Link to the auction.

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
Steve

Cortland trademark was filed Feb. 15. 1928 by 'Concord Watch Co. Inc. NYC, founded 1909 s a subsiduary of the Concord Watch Company SA Biel, Switzerland (1908). I don't know how long the early 'The Webb C. Ball Co' signature was used and how to date the APEX case mark.

A look at the movement shows the early (slim) dial feet screws; swiss, adjustment and jewel count markings; no antishock device; no three letter import markings (~1940).

The case is decco influenced.

With this facts I would date the watch 1930-1935.

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Gerald,

Thanks for the info...that is the best assumption so far. There realy isn't much info that I could find on it so for me I would just be speculating. Do the other experts agree with Gerald?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I am by far no expert & Gerald knows more about these than me, but early 30's was going to be my guess.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Nice watch i would also think late 30,s early 40,s.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004