• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Restoring a Hamilton Masonic Watch Dial "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I need to get this dial restored for a customer.

Can anyone recommend anyone who can restore masonic dials at a reasonable price.

My usual dial restorers in the UK either don't do masonic dials or can only provide a relatively poor alternative dial pattern which is not really in keeping with the original watch.

The symbols are printed on not overlayed.

Thanks

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Clive,

All too often repainted dials are disappointing.

You will want to solicit examples before you decide on a source. One that comes to mind for this particular watch is Robert Miller of International Dial who started this topic last year...

Two pages:
WATCH DIAL REFINISHING QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Check that topic over closely and ask Rob Miller specifically as to whether they might have the original dies to print your dial. I mention this because International Dial was used by Hamilton for refinishing dials in their factory service program and for that reason you may get lucky! Rob's eMail is rmiller15@earthlink.net and again if I were you I would want to see a print before proceeding. If you are like me, the quality of the workmanship would far more important than the price.

Let's also see what others may suggest!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell

This was good information.

I've read the thread - very informative. And have now been in touch with Rob Miller who has confirmed that he can restore the dial at a very reasonable price.

I shall be posting it off over the weekend.

Thanks once again.

Kind Regards

Clive

posted
Lindell

Just to say that I have now had the dial restored and International Watch dial have done a splendid job.

I will be sending any other dials I have for refinishing their way in future.

Thank you for the recomendation.

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Glad to hear the good news Clive!

Please post an image Cool so we might see the finished product.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
OK Lindell here it is.

posted
Dial looks great. Are you happy?

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
posted

I agree with Rick, that is a great restoration. Cool

The problem with dial companies is the inconsistency of quality. The person doing the work of course has a lot to do with that, but first and foremost they must have a proper die for the particular dial in question available to them. The reason I suggested International Dial for this particular dial is they were the most likely to have the original die for this dial, and it turned out they did.

For many years International did the dial reconditioning for the Hamilton factory on their factory serviced watches. Knowing that fact caused me to recommend International for Clive's dial and we are pleased that everything went well. I would also mention there were several eMails behind the scenes and the folks at International were very friendly and helpful to us.

It's always nice to have a happy ending!

Lindell

Wink