Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question of a Chinese automatic movement "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Question of a Chinese automatic movement

One of my son-in-laws traded for an Armitron automatic wrist watch with a Chinese automatic skeletonized movement.

The balance tries to go, but the watch does not run. I can't tell if it's a broken main spring or otherwise. There just seems to be no power going to the balance. The second hand does not move either when the balance IS moving after a few twists of the wrist, so something else must be amiss.

Are these Chinese Armitron's worth the time/effort/money sending to someone to fix, or did he just make a bad deal?

Apparently he traded for it, and that's the way it was when he got it. It was part of a bundled trade for some other things, so he was ok with it not running when it arrived, but asked me if it was worth the money to get it fixed?

I've never dealt with Chinese movements, manual, automatic or otherwise, and if he had asked, I would have recommended he just steer clear, but since it's here, he's stuck with it.

There are no markings on the movement, but on the case back it says "TY2807V 20/4518TGP China Movement Water Resistant 165 feet All Stainless Steel"

So, wrist watch gurus, what are the thoughts on bothering with this watch?

Anything you can tell me will be MOST appreciated.

Sorry no photos. I don't own a camera.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Mark check the ofrei page I link it and look for similar or same movement and let me know I will be ordering some parts from them and can order one for you and replace it no charge only pay for movement if you find same one that is.
http://www.ofrei.com/page1119.html

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you Peter! I'll do that tomorrow and will be in touch if I see it!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1338
posted
Mark;

A lot of chinese movements are actually Seagull
which as Peter will tell you is a very dependable movement. Problem is, they're not worth much.

In your case, I wouldn't spend over 10-15 bucks getting it running, which is an impossibility most likely. Heck, I'm selling (let me correct that...I'm TRYING to sell) the same movement right now here in the WW For Sale the SUG watches BNIB and I can't get any takers at 45 bucks! (about 18 under my cost.)
So there you go...my opinion on em.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Mark, do you also sell glass crystals for pocket watches? 16 size mostly and at what cost?
Currently I am paying $100.00 for a them. OUCH!

It is what it is!

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Hello Wesley,

That price sounds outrageous!

Our own William White manufactures new Pocket Watch Crystals...

Check this out: Newly Manufactured White's Glass Pocket Watch Crystals

William's are of optical quality, the very, very best, nothing is finer.

Posts: 5201 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1959
posted
Wesley
Williams crystals are the finest made and he is great to work with! JMF

Posts: 340 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: June 28, 2014