Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Snagged me a Martin "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1508
posted
Hey all! Just bought this 1941 Hamilton "Martin" yesterday. Looks really good, and at that price, I just couldn't resist. http://www.ebay.com/itm/320965....l2649#ht_500wt_1203

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Looks good!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1508
posted
Thanks Dave. I'll have to wait and see how she is when it gets here. I was looking for a "Bagley" but the "Martin" was my second choice.

I've got a question though...how does one get those lugs off? I'm planning on putting a really nice ostrich band on it. I'll be posting some better pictures of it after I get it. Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Not sure I understand your question. The pictures show the watch with no strap on it. It's pretty standard as far as replacing the strap goes. Just insert the pins and snap them into the lugs!?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1508
posted
Dave, the lugs have balls on the ends. On more modern watches, there is a tiny hole on the ends where you can push a pin into to un snap the lugs. This looks like those aren't there. Also, this watch does have a strap on it. An ugly one, but it's there. Brad

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Sorry, I was looking at the posted pictures on ebay and saw the watch back and thought it was the entire watch with strap removed.
Not familiar with the Martin, but I'd still think it has the standard snap in pins but the holes don't extend clear through the case.
I have a Hamilton Stanford and it's the same. No holes on the outside.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1508
posted
Of course, now I'm looking at the movement, and that balance wheel looks a little odd. Starting to freak out in 3...2...1!

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Looks okay to me. I think the picture shows it running.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1508
posted
You're probably right Dave! I'll calm down now.

IHC Member 1508
posted
Well, it arrived today. And I've got to say, it's plum gorgeous! No wear through that I can see, the dial looks almost new, and it seems to run great. I cant get the movement out of the case back to examine it, but that's okay...that is Chris Abell's realm. I'll be putting up a few pics later on today. Brad

IHC Member 1508
posted
one

IHC Member 1508
posted
two

IHC Member 1508
posted
three

IHC Member 1508
posted
four

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Very nice! Looks like a circa 1940 according to the price guide. Chris is your man, He made my Perry look like a new watch.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1508
posted
Thanks Dave! Yeah, that's the first thing I do when I get a new watch...send it to Chris for a COA. Lord knows when these things were last serviced! The crystal has a nice scratch on it, so I bought a new glass one. Other than that, it looks almost new. Wound it just a little to see if it did indeed run, and it does...perfectly. It looks great in its' proper box too. Already had one of those. All I need for it now is that NOS ostrich band, and I'll be wearing it to meetin! Brad

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Brad,
Nice watch---type in Hamilton Bagley in the search area and see some pics of a Bagley. Trust me-you will want a nice Bagley in your collection.
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Member 1508
posted
Hahaha Tony! I already looked. I want one REALLY bad, but my wife is giving me the business about it. And there just happens to be a really nice one on ebay right now.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Nice buy Brad. The case, crystal and movement all look to be in above average condition. The 987A is a work horse. This movement became the Hamilton contracted movement for the WWII military watches. Put "hamilton ORD" in the on line auction search line and you should find several.

I have a CDrom with the WWII service manual that cook books you through a complete overhaul of this watch. Found that on-line too. It covers several makes of both wristwatches and pocket watches.

Great stuff if you are interested in taking your hobby to the next level.

Have fun, Pault

Engraved OF

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1508
posted
Hey Paul, thanks. Yes the 987A is a great movement. I've got a 1944 Hamilton military wristwatch. Love that thing! Got mine at an antique mall here in town for a hundred bucks. But I've put in about double that, getting it up to snuff again. I've also seen government issue, in-the-field repair kits for these on ebay! Oh, and by the way...welcome to IHC185! I hope you get as much enjoyment and information out of this place as I do. Regards, Brad