Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is this Gruen? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This is a pretty amazing looking wristwatch movement. The similarity to the 50th Anniversary pocketwatch is striking (even though it only has 17 jewels)! Does anyone know anything about these?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Jerry,
The movement is Gruens 17 jewel Quadron rectangular. I have seen many of these over the years most are plain. I have seen a couple like your example in 18K solid gold cases.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Thanks, Rich. I have also heard from Gruen enthusiast Jack Goldberg who identifies the base movement as a caliber 117. He pointed out that this movement was pictured and discussed in the Answer Box in the December 1991 Bulletin (p.713). In that Q&A, Robert Gruen tells us that this movement series (was introduced in 1925 and some of them were engraved and gold-plated, such as this one. The fancy movements were usually cased in 14K or 18K Gruen cases. Here is the dial from this one. [This uncased movement belongs to another collector].

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Follow-up: during discussion in a parallel posting on the GREEN BOARD I have come to realize that this special finish was applied on at least three models - the model 117, 119 and 123. I looked closer at the example I posted and realized that it is the 119 (literally marked up from 117), which has a different barrel than the 117.

posted
Hello everyone. I'm new to this board, but have been around Gruen's for a while. I see some familiar faces here as well. Hoping to share a little of what I know about Gruen.

The general concensus among serious Gruen collectors is that these engraved movements were made to capitalize on the publicity surrounding the 50th Anniversary pocketwatches, but I have not seen any Gruen advertising naming the wristwatches specifically as "Fiftieth Anniversary". The base 117, 119 and 123 movements, as well as the later 325 (and 21 jewel 3251) are seen in various combinations of plain, rhodium, gilt and engraved gilt patterns. I have personally had the engraved versions in 119 and 123, although I don't have any presently. I do have examples of the other variations so that you can compare the very subtle differences. First is the 117...

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
And now the 119...

posted
And finally a two-tone 123...

Note that the 123, even though it's "fancier" is marked "unadjusted" while the two earlier (and plainer) movements are marked "adjusted temp."

posted
And for what it's worth, there are currently examples of both the 50th Anniversary Pocketwatch, and an engraved 117 in an 18K case (listed as 50th Anniversary as well) listed on eBay. A search for "Gruen 50th Anniversary" should bring up both.

Cary Hurt

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Thanks for the info, Cary, and welcome to Chapter 185.