• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 770 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here is the dial side of my Hamilton 770.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
It is a 19 jewel movement with Elinvar balance. Maybe someone could explain why I can't find a serial number anywhere on the movement.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Correction, it is a 22 jewel movement!

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Steve i don,t think these had a seial# i will take a look at some of my movements and see i have several of these..

These were i think the best wristwatch movement Hamilton ever made ,,Just as Hamilton was in thier last few years of production they were making these and hit a homerun with this movement. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Wow. To think that this achievement happened just before the electric watches revolutionized the industry... and then (dun-da-dun-dunnn) the quartz!
I was looking in the Illinois book, and found that a few of those wristwatches had Elinvar springs, too. How do they measure up?
Thanks for your help.

Steve G.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Steve
The Illinois movements were good also ,,Were they as good as the Hamiltons i personally don,t think so but still quailty movements.

The 770 Hamiltons is in my opinion were the best in fit and finish and performance ,,I will go as far as too say (in my humble opinion)they were the best American wristwatch movement ever build.

None of these had serial #,s Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
The 770 was one key reason Hamilton was known as the American Patek Philip. All of the metallurgical achievements of Hamilton were included in this watch including invar balance, elivar extra hairsprings (both better than what was coming out of Europe). And 22 jewels for a time only wrist watch is a lot! I don't think the finish is as nice as the older 982M but certainly the quality met or exceeded them. A tremendous movement. Older Illinois movements are not in the same league with the 770. Remember Illinois became part of Hamilton in the late 1920's and simply didn't have the same quality balance and mainsprings available.

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005