Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A final report "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I service the occasional watch for a few long-standing customers. Here for your delight is my latest report on a movement which might have been dropped ---

"In my opinion it is too badly damaged to re-use any parts - it is, as we say, a "write-off"

The balance hairspring is both distorted and mangled - I can't see this from just a fall unless there is also damage to the case signifying a long hard fall. One balance pivot is bent away from the vertical at an alarming angle. I don't see how this balance ever ran if there was no fall.

This movement has had some acquaintance with moisture. The case screws are rust welded to the movement - and although could be drilled out it could cause some damage to the pillar plate and train bridges. Any way there is further corrosion and physical damage to these parts and to all of the train wheels. In short it is (s)crap !

I truly recommend a complete replacement."

Dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
So, quit beating around the bush, Dan....did you ever fix this one or not? Big Grin Razz

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Geeesh!

Sounds like it fell in the pool and the following spring the pool cleaning guy stepped on it. Eek

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Alas it was simply too far gone to revive, and all that was saved were a few minor parts. I had never seen case screws so rusted in as these two - I had to grind off the heads to take the movement apart.

Fortunately it is a common mvt. so replacement was easy.

DM

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005