Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Accutron 218 caseback gasket needed "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Anyone have any suggestion where I can locate a replacement case back gasket for my Dad's 218 Accutron that the shipping charged isn't 3 times the cost of the gasket? Roll Eyes

I've found them at parts houses through suggestions from folks here where the gasket only cost $5, but the least it costs for shipping is over $15!!! They won't mail it in a regular envelope through the mail either.

Any suggestions?

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Mark,
If you can measure the ID, OD + thickness in MM flat or round? I may have one in my loose sets if not once I have the dimensions I could add to my next order and forward.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks Chris!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark-Email me your address-I must have at least 3 dozen of these gaskets (from a watchmaker's hoard) lasell2@msn.com

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
William, I just this very minute saw your reply.

I am SO sorry I missed this. I rarely come into the wristwatch section.

I have not picked up a gasket yet for my Dad's 218.

I had a couple folks contact me and offer to help me find one, but after responding to their emails, I never heard another word, so I pretty much gave up and moved on to other things.

Does this offer still stand, or did that train leave the station long ago? Frown

Please let me know. I will watch this thread for a reply. I also sent an email to your supplied address above.

Thank you, and once again, I am SO sorry for dropping the ball.

Regards!! Mark

IHC Member 1613
posted
Mark,
There are several different gaskets for the 218's. If you would let me know the case number stamped on the inside of the back case cover I would look to see if I have one...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
posted
The standard Accutron 218 gasket is G780. Used 99% of the time. Many things I know from 36 years in watch material business.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you Gary! I heard back from William, and he said he would indeed still send me a gasket, and I thank him publically....but for reference, the stamp in the back of the case is kind of smeared.

The first number/letter looks like either a 'B' or '3', then the other 4 numbers are 3392.

At the top of the back are stamped the numbers 2-7'.

Other than that, there are no other numbers stamped, and only the standard engraved 'Use Only Genuine Accutron Cell....blahblahblah'.

I've REALLY needed this gasket, as last time I changed the cell, when putting the back back on, the old gasket is so mashed from years of use (probably the original), the back actually touches the movement, causing the watch to stop. Without a new gasket to keep it off the movement, I can't close the watch.

It's been just sitting in its box for months now with the back loosely attached. I'm looking forward to getting it closed up, and be able to wear it again.

My Dad received it for his 25th anniversery at the uranium enrichment plant we both worked at, and the dedication on the back cover is 1979.

Thanks again, William!

Regards! Mark

IHC Member 1613
posted
Mark,
Glad you found the gasket you needed. With the case number you mentioned the G780 gasket is the one you need..As William mentioned it is the gasket used on 99% of the 218's but I always like to check before I offer to help..Take care..

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks again, Gary. I'll know for sure once I receive it in the mail. Smile

Regards! Mark

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I received the gasket from William, and it's a perfect fit. My Dad's 218 is safely closed and secured! Big Grin

Thank you so VERY much, William! Smile

HIGH regards! Mark

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Well, it appears Dad's 218 is sicker than I thought. It ran fine for about 8 hours, then quit. I put in a new battery and it fired right up. It didn't have the good clear 'ring' it had before, but it was running. It ran for a day. It quit again.

I just pulled out the stem and closed the box. Frown

At least the case is dust proof again with the new gasket installed. Thanks again! Smile

Regards! Mark